A Novel Spiral Optimization for Clustering
Because most traditional search methods are unable to satisfy the current needs of data mining, finding a high performance search method for data mining has gradually become a critical issue. The spiral optimization (SO) is a promising search algorithm designed to emulate the natural phenomena, such as swirl and low pressure, to find the solutions of optimization problems within an acceptable computation time. In this paper, a novel SO is presented to solve the clustering problem. Unlike the original SO, which rotates the points around the elitist center iteratively, the proposed algorithm, called distributed spiral optimization (dSO), splits the population into several subpopulations so as to increase the diversity of search to further improve the clustering result. The k-means and oscillation methods are also used to enhance the efficacy of dSO. To evaluate the performance of the proposed algorithm, we apply it to the clustering problem and compare the results it found with those of the spiral optimization and genetic k-means algorithm. The results show that the proposed algorithm is quite promising.
KeywordsMetaheuristic spiral optimization clustering
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Welch: Algorithmic complexity: Three NP-hard problems in computational statistics. Computation and Simulation (1982)Google Scholar
- 2.Xu, W., Liu, X., Gong, Y.: Document clustering based on non-negative matrix factorization. In: Proceedings of the Annual International ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Informaion Retrieval, pp. 267–273 (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Zhao, W., Chellappa, R., Rosenfeld, A., Phillips, P.J.: Face recognition: A literature survey. ACM Computing Surveys, 399–458 (2000)Google Scholar
- 4.Watada, J., Yamashiro, K.: A data mining approach to consumer behavior. In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Innovative Computing, Information and Control, pp. 652–655 (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Geem, Z.W., Kim, J.H., Loganathan, G.V.: A new heuristic optimization algorithm: Harmony search. Simulation, 60–68 (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Karaboga, D.: An idea based on Honey Bee Swarm for Numerical Optimization. Erciyes University, Tech. Rep. (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Tamura, K., Yasuda, K.: Spiral multipoint search for global optimization. In: International Conference on Machine Learning and Applications, vol. 1, pp. 470–475 (2011)Google Scholar
- 9.Bandyopadhyay, S., Maulik, U.: An evolutionary technique based on k-means algorithm for optimal clustering in rn. Information Sciences, 221–237 (2002)Google Scholar
- 11.UCI-machine learning repository, http://archive.ics.uci.edu/ml/
- 12.Ward, J.H.: Hierarchical grouping to optimize an objective function. Journal of the American Statistical Association, 236–244 (1963)Google Scholar