End-to-End High Speed Forward Error Correction Using Graphics Processing Units
Forward error correction (FEC) is an efficient error recovery mechanism for wireless networks in which erroneous packet is corrected in the destination node. More importantly, real-time and high-speed wireless networks require fast error recovery to ensure quality of service (QoS). Since graphics processing units (GPUs) offer massively parallel computing platform, we propose a GPU-based parallel error control mechanism using extended Hamming code supporting single-bit as well as multiple-bit error correction. We compare the performance of the proposed GPU-based approach with the equivalent sequential algorithm that runs on the traditional CPU for error strength, t, such that 1 ≤ t ≤ 7. Experimental results demonstrate that the proposed GPU-based approach outperforms the sequential approach in terms of execution time. Moreover, the proposed parallel implementation yields significant reduction in computational complexity from O(n 3) of the sequential algorithm to O(n) of the GPU-based approach, leading to tremendous speedup gain.
KeywordsReal-time wireless communication multiple bit error FEC extended Hamming code GPU
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Singh, J., Singh, J.: A Comparative Study of Error Detection and Correction Coding Techniques. In: Proc. 2012 Second International Conference on Advanced Computing & Communication Technologies (ACCT), January 7-8, pp. 187–189 (2012)Google Scholar
- 4.Hund, J., Heinrich, A., Ziller, A., Schwingenschlogl, C., Kraemer, R.: A packet-level adaptive forward error correction scheme for wireless networks. In: 2010 7th Workshop on Positioning Navigation and Communication (WPNC), March 11-12, pp. 1–3 (2010)Google Scholar
- 5.Sanders, J., Kandrot, E.: CUDA by Example: An Introduction to General-Purpose GPU Programming, 1st edn. (July 29, 2010), http://www.amazon.com/CUDA-Example-Introduction-General-Purpose-Programming/dp/0131387685
- 6.Kirk, D.B., Hwu, W.W.: Programming Massively Parallel Processors: A Hands-on Approach, 2nd edn. (December 28, 2012), http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Massively-Parallel-Processors-Edition/dp/0124159923/ref=dp_ob_title_bk
- 7.Bilel, B.R., Navid, N.: Cunetsim: A GPU based simulation testbed for large scale mobile networks. In: Proc. 2012 IEEE International Conference on Communications and Information Technology, June 26-28, pp. 374–378 (2012)Google Scholar