An Efficient Implementation of Geometric Semantic Genetic Programming for Anticoagulation Level Prediction in Pharmacogenetics
The purpose of this study is to develop an innovative system for Coumarin-derived drug dosing, suitable for elderly patients. Recent research highlights that the pharmacological response of the patient is often affected by many exogenous factors other than the dosage prescribed and these factors could form a very complex relationship with the drug dosage. For this reason, new powerful computational tools are needed for approaching this problem. The system we propose is called Geometric Semantic Genetic Programming, and it is based on the use of recently defined geometric semantic genetic operators. In this paper, we present a new implementation of this Genetic Programming system, that allow us to use it for real-life applications in an efficient way, something that was impossible using the original definition. Experimental results show the suitability of the proposed system for managing anticoagulation therapy. In particular, results obtained with Geometric Semantic Genetic Programming are significantly better than the ones produced by standard Genetic Programming both on training and on out-of-sample test data.
KeywordsRoot Mean Square Error Random Tree Generalization Ability Semantic Space Oral Anticoagulant Therapy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Beadle, L., Johnson, C.: Semantically driven crossover in genetic programming. In: Proc. of the IEEE World Congress on Comput. Intelligence, pp. 111–116. IEEE Press (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Jowett, S., Bryan, S., Poller, L., Van Den Besselaar, A.M.H.P., Van Der Meer, F.J.M., Palareti, G., Shiach, C., Tripodi, A., Keown, M., Ibrahim, S., Lowe, G., Moia, M., Turpie, A.G., Jespersen, J.: The cost-effectiveness of computer-assisted anticoagulant dosage: results from the European action on anticoagulation (eaa) multicentre study. J. Thromb. Haemost. 7(9), 1482–1490 (2009)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Klein, T.E., Altman, R.B., Eriksson, N., Gage, B.F., Kimmel, S.E., Lee, M.-T.M., Limdi, N.A., Page, D., Roden, D.M., Wagner, M.J., Caldwell, M.D., Johnson, J.A.: Estimation of the dose with clinical and pharmacogenetic data. New England Journal of Medicine 360(8), 753–764 (2009)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Krawiec, K., Lichocki, P.: Approximating geometric crossover in semantic space. In: GECCO 2009, July 8-12, pp. 987–994. ACM (2009)Google Scholar
- 11.Leichsenring, I., Plesch, W., Unkrig, V., Kitchen, S., Kitchen, D.P., Maclean, R., Dikkeschei, B., van den Besselaar, A.M.H.P.: Multicentre isi assignment and calibration of the inr measuring range of a new point-of-care system designed for home monitoring of oral anticoagulation therapy. Thromb. Haemost. 97(5), 856–861 (2007)Google Scholar
- 13.McPhee, N.F., Ohs, B., Hutchison, T.: Semantic building blocks in genetic programming. In: O’Neill, M., Vanneschi, L., Gustafson, S., Esparcia Alcázar, A.I., De Falco, I., Della Cioppa, A., Tarantino, E. (eds.) EuroGP 2008. LNCS, vol. 4971, pp. 134–145. Springer, Heidelberg (2008)CrossRefGoogle Scholar