A Life-Cycle Model for Software Service Engineering
Applying existing life-cycle models to software service engineering, we identify shortcomings: they do not focus on engineering activities, lack a clear underlying definition of software services, do not address both service roles of consumer and provider, and assume longevity and sequence of activities. We present a life-cycle model for software service engineering to tackle these shortcomings. We illustrate the model’s prescriptive use by applying it to assess software service variability and software service standardization.
KeywordsSoftware service engineering service variability cloud standards
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Abrahamsson, P., Salo, O., Ronkainen, J., Warsta, J.: Agile Software Development Methods. Review and Analysis. VTT Publications (2002)Google Scholar
- 2.Baun, C., Kunze, M., Nimis, J., Tai, S.: Cloud Computing. Web-Basierte Dynamische IT-Services, Springer-Verlag New York Incorporated (March 2011)Google Scholar
- 3.BMWi: The standardisation environment for cloud computing. Tech. rep. (2012)Google Scholar
- 6.Humble, J., Farley, D.G.: Continuous delivery: reliable software releases through build, test, and deployment automation. Addison-Wesley, Upper Saddle River (2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Janiesch, C., Niemann, M., Steinmetz, R.: The TEXO governance framework. Tech. rep., SAP Research (2011)Google Scholar
- 8.Joshi, K.P., Finin, T., Yesha, Y.: Integrated Lifecycle of IT Services in a Cloud Environment. In: Proceedings of the Third International Conference on the Virtual Computing Initiative (ICVCI 2009), Research Triangle Park, NC (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Kruchten, P.: The Rational Unified Process: An Introduction, 3rd edn. Addison-Wesley (2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Menzel, M., Ranjan, R.: CloudGenius: Decision Support for Web Server Cloud Migration. In: Proceedings of the 21st International Conference on World Wide Web (WWW 2012), Lyon, France, pp. 979–988 (March 2012)Google Scholar
- 12.Royce, W.W.: Managing the Development of Large Software Systems. In: Proceedings of IEEE WESCON, pp. 1–9 (August 1970)Google Scholar
- 13.Sommerville, I.: Software Engineering, 9th edn. Addison-Wesley (2011)Google Scholar
- 14.W3C Working Group: Web Services Glossary (2004), http://www.w3.org/TR/ws-gloss/ (accessed February 21, 2013)