Formal Models for Digital Archives: NESTOR and the 5S
Archives are a valuable part of our cultural heritage but despite their importance, the models and technologies that have been developed over the past two decades in the DL field have not been specifically tailored to them. This is especially true when it comes to formal and foundational frameworks, as the 5S model is.
Therefore, we propose an innovative formal model, called NESTOR, for archives, explicitly built around the concepts of context and hierarchy which play a central role in the archival realm. We then use NESTOR to extend the 5S model offering the possibility of opening up the full wealth of DL methods to archives. We provide account for this by presenting two concrete applications.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Discovery, E., Shaw, S., Reynolds, P.: Creating the Next Generation of Archival Finding Aids. D-Lib Magazine 13(5/6) (May/June 2007)Google Scholar
- 6.Ferro, N., Silvello, G.: NESTOR: A Formal Model for Digital Archives. Information Processing & Management (in print, 2013), http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ipm.2013.05.001
- 7.Fox, E.A., Gonçalves, M.A., Shen, R.: Theoretical Foundations for Digital Libraries: The 5S (Societies, Scenarios, Spaces, Structures, Streams) Approach. Morgan & Claypool Publishers, USA (2012)Google Scholar
- 8.Gilliland-Swetland, A.J.: Enduring Paradigm, New Opportunities: The Value of the Archival Perspective in the Digital Environment. Council on Library and Information Resources (2000)Google Scholar
- 10.Heath, T., Bizer, C.: Linked Data: Evolving the Web into a Global Data Space. In: Synthesis Lectures on the Semantic Web: Theory and Technology. Morgan & Claypool Publishers, USA (2011)Google Scholar
- 11.International Council on Archives. In: ISAD(G): General International Standard Archival Description, 2nd edn., International Council on Archives, Ottawa (1999)Google Scholar
- 12.Kaplan, D., Sauer, A., Wilczek, E.: Archival description in OAI-ORE. Journal of Digital Information 12(2) (2011)Google Scholar
- 14.Lagoze, C., Van De Sompel, H., Nelson, M., Warner, S.: The Open Archives Initiative Protocol for Metadata Harvesting – Version 2.0 (December 2008), http://www.openarchives.org/OAI/openarchivesprotocol.html
- 15.University of California. California Digital Library. CDL Guidelines for Digital Objects. Version 2.0. Technical report, 34 pages (January 2011)Google Scholar
- 17.Ridener, J.: From Polders to Postmodernism: A Concise History of Archival Theory. Litwin Books (2009)Google Scholar
- 19.Society of American Archivists. Encoded Archival Description: Tag Library, ver. 2002. Society of American Archivists (2003), http://www.loc.gov/ead/tglib/
- 20.Van de Sompel, H., Lagoze, C.: Interoperability for the Discovery, Use, and Re-Use of Units of Scholarly Communication. CTWatch Quarterly 3(3) (2007)Google Scholar
- 21.Yako, S.: It Complicated: Barriers to EAD Implementation. American Archivist 71(2), 456–475 (2008)Google Scholar