Positive Inductive-Recursive Definitions
We introduce a new theory of data types which allows for the definition of data types as initial algebras of certain functors Fam ℂ → Fam ℂ. This theory, which we call positive inductive-recursive definitions, is a generalisation of Dybjer and Setzer’s theory of inductive-recursive definitions within which ℂ had to be discrete – our work can therefore be seen as lifting this restriction. This is a substantial endeavour as we need to not only introduce a type of codes for such data types (as in Dybjer and Setzer’s work), but also a type of morphisms between such codes (which was not needed in Dybjer and Setzer’s development). We show how these codes are interpreted as functors on Famℂ and how these morphisms of codes are interpreted as natural transformations between such functors. We then give an application of positive inductive-recursive definitions to the theory of nested data types. Finally we justify the existence of positive inductive-recursive definitions by adapting Dybjer and Setzer’s set-theoretic model to our setting.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Abbott, M.: Category of Containers. Ph.D. thesis, University of Leicester (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Aczel, P.: Frege structures and the notions of proposition, truth and set. In: Barwise, J., Keisler, H.J., Kunen, K. (eds.) The Kleene Symposium. Studies in Logic and the Foundations of Mathematics, vol. 101, pp. 31–59. Elsevier (1980)Google Scholar
- 4.Adámek, J., Milius, S., Moss, L.: Initial algebras and terminal coalgebras: A survey (June 29, 2010), draftGoogle Scholar
- 5.Blampied, P.: Structured Recursion for Non-uniform Data-types. Ph.D. thesis, University of Nottingham (2000)Google Scholar
- 11.Ek, L., Holmström, O., Andjelkovic, S.: Formalizing Arne Andersson trees and Left-leaning Red-Black trees in Agda. Bachelor thesis, Chalmers University of Technology (2009)Google Scholar
- 12.Fiore, M., Plotkin, G., Turi, D.: Abstract syntax and variable binding. In: Proc. Logic in Computer Science, pp. 193–202 (1999)Google Scholar
- 13.Ghani, N., Hamana, M., Uustalu, T., Vene, V.: Representing cyclic structures as nested types (2006), presented at Trends in Functional ProgrammingGoogle Scholar
- 15.Ghani, N., Malatesta, L., Nordvall Forsberg, F., Setzer, A.: Fibred data types. In: LICS 2013 (2013)Google Scholar
- 16.Jacobs, B.: Categorical Logic and Type Theory. Studies in Logic and the Foundations of Mathematics, vol. 141. North Holland, Elsevier (1999)Google Scholar
- 18.Martin-Löf, P.: An intuitionistic theory of types (1972), published in Twenty-Five Years of Constructive Type TheoryGoogle Scholar
- 19.Martin-Löf, P.: Intuitionistic type theory. Bibliopolis Naples (1984)Google Scholar
- 21.Nordvall Forsberg, F., Setzer, A.: A finite axiomatisation of inductive-inductive definitions. In: Berger, U., Hannes, D., Schuster, P., Seisenberger, M. (eds.) Logic, Construction, Computation, Ontos Mathematical Logic, vol. 3, pp. 259–287. Ontos Verlag (2012)Google Scholar