Consumer Demand, Investment Demand and Housing Price Volatility
Considering the two characters of real estate: consumer attribute and investment attribute, the aggregate demand of real estate could be subdivided into consumer demand and investment demand. And in this paper, psychology expectation is quantified by gray prediction method, and then the real estate price model is established. Based on the theoretical model, using national quarterly data-from January 1999 to June 2011, we empirically analyze the effect of demand on housing price. The results demonstrate that investment demand can be used to explain housing price volatility better than consumer demand nowadays. Compared with the other factors, psychology expectation and down payment policy have much greater influence on housing price. In the end, some reasonable policy proposals on controlling price will be given on the stage.
KeywordsConsumer demand Investment demand Gray prediction Housing price management
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Deng GY, Gann L (2010) Is there an ‘overreaction’ in the housing market? Management World 6:41–55 (In Chinese)Google Scholar
- 2.Shi CB (2004) Behavior analysis of China’s real estate price fluctuation and its countermeasure. Price: Theory & Practice 9:41–42 (In Chinese)Google Scholar
- 3.Tong CQ, Yang HL (2007) Study on influencing factors of real estate price. Construction Economy S1:90–92 (In Chinese)Google Scholar
- 4.Jiang CJ, Zhang ZY (2009) The analysis of housing price’s influencing factor. China Price 5:35–38 (In Chinese)Google Scholar
- 5.Zhou JK (2005) Monetary policy, bank loan and housing price. Finance & Trade Economics 5:22–27 (In Chinese)Google Scholar
- 6.Gao K, Liu CB (2008) Effect of regulation on house price: Modelling and simulation based on expectation thories. China Civil Engineering Journal 4:95–99 (In Chinese)Google Scholar
- 7.Jiang HX, Yan K (2011) The influence of psychological expectations at the post-crisis era on China’s housing prices— Take the city of Chengdu as the example. Economist 12:48–56 (In Chinese)Google Scholar
- 8.Tu JH, Zhang J, What pushes up the house price: Evidence from Shanghai. World Economy 5:28–39 (In Chinese)Google Scholar
- 9.Hu X (2010) Income inequality and the China’s real estate prices: Theoretical and empirical analysis. Finance & Economics 12:83–90 (In Chinese)Google Scholar
- 10.Cui GC (2006) Money, exchange rate have influence on housing price. Shanghai Real Estate 7:32–35 (In Chinese)Google Scholar
- 11.Liu D (2010) The relationship of monetary policy and estate price. Shanghai Real Estate 3:41–43 (In Chinese)Google Scholar