Generating an Agent Based Model from Interviews and Observations: Procedures and Challenges
In the course of an increasing impetus to connect agent based simulations to empirical data, also the potentials of qualitative social science methods to inspire such models are explored. In this work, qualitative interviews, participating observation, and document analysis are combined to analyze a political process that relies heavily on the communication and the collaboration of stakeholders to serve as a text based data source for an agent based model of the process. The simulation outcomes are also produced in text format so that they are easily understandable to stakeholders and other users. The simulation reproduces the discussions among the stakeholders and their subsequent decisions, is able to react on changes in their general settings, and can be used to explore different sets of rules for the decision processes and their results.
KeywordsEmpirical modeling qualitative reasoning communication cooperation narratives
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Janssen, M.A., Ostrom, E.: Empirically-Based, Agent-Based Models. Ecology and the Society 11, 37 (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Polhill, J.G., Sutherland, L.-A., Gotts, N.M.: Using Qualitative Evidence to Enhance an Agent-Based Modelling System for Studying Land Use Change. Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simulation 13(2), 10 (2010)Google Scholar
- 5.Robinson, D.T., Brown, D.G., Parker, D.C., Schreinemachers, P., Janssen, M.A., Huigen, M., Wittmer, H., Gotts, N.M., Promburom, P., Irwin, E., Berger, T., Gatzweiler, F., Barnaud, C.: Comparison of empirical methods for building agent-based models in land use science. Journal of Land Use Science 2(1), 31–55 (2007)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Barreteau, O.: Our Companion Modelling Approach. Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simulation 6(2), 1 (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Guyot, P., Honiden, S.: Agent-Based Participatory Simulations: Merging Multi-Agent Systems and Role-Playing Games. Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simulation 9(4), 8 (2006)Google Scholar
- 9.Hollander, C.D., Wu, A.S.: The Current State of Normative Agent-Based Systems. Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simulation 14(2), 6 (2011)Google Scholar
- 10.Schenk, T.A.: Using stakeholders‘ narratives to build an agent based simulation of a political process. Simulation Transactions (submitted)Google Scholar