An Auction Mechanism for Resource Allocation in Mobile Cloud Computing Systems
A mobile cloud computing system is composed of heterogeneous services and resources to be allocated by the cloud service provider to mobile cloud users. On one hand, some of these resources are substitutable (e.g., users can use storage from different places) that they have similar functions to the users. On the other hand, some resources are complementary that the user will need them as a bundle (e.g., users need both wireless connection and storage for online photo posting). In this paper, we first model the resource allocation process of a mobile cloud computing system as an auction mechanism with premium and discount factors. The premium and discount factors indicate complementary and substitutable relations among cloud resources provided by the service provider. Then, we analyze the individual rationality and incentive compatibility (truthfulness) properties of the users in the proposed auction mechanism. The optimal solutions of the resource allocation and cost charging schemes in the auction mechanism is discussed afterwards.
KeywordsMobile cloud computing auction mechanism design
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Li, Z., Wang, C., Xu, R.: Computation offloading to save energy on handheld devices: A partition scheme. In: Proceedings of the 2001 International Conference on Compilers, Architecture, and Synthesis for Embedded Systems (CASES), pp. 238–246 (2001)Google Scholar
- 4.Wang, Q.: Mobile cloud computing. Master of science thesis, University of Saskatchewan, Canada (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Hoang, D.T., Lee, C., Niyato, D., Wang, P.: A survey of mobile cloud computing: Architecture, applications, and approaches. In: Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing, doi:10.1002/wcm.1203 (in press)Google Scholar
- 10.Parsons, S., Rodriguez-Aguilar, J.A., Klein, M.: Auctions and bidding: A guide for computer scientists. ACM Computing Surveys 43, 10:1–10:59 (2011)Google Scholar
- 11.Mullins, C.L.: Real-time auction of cloud computing resources. U.S. Patent 2010/0076856 A1 (March 25, 2010)Google Scholar
- 12.Lin, W.-Y., Lin, G.-Y., Wei, H.-Y.: Dynamic Auction Mechanism for Cloud Resource Allocation. In: 10th IEEE/ACM International Conference on Cluster, Cloud and Grid Computing (CCGrid), pp. 591–592 (May 2010)Google Scholar
- 13.Zhang, Y., Niyato, D., Wang, P.: An Auction Mechanism for Resource Allocation in Mobile Cloud Computing Systems, http://arxiv.org/abs/1304.6176