A Fuzzy, Utility-Based Approach for Proactive Policy-Based Management
Policy-based Management with rules is a wide-spread approach for operations automation. However, the continuous pressure for decreasing operational costs and increasing reliability of the systems lead to new challenges. Unfortunately, current Policy-based Management Systems lack the ability to act proactively along operational objectives in an autonomous manner in order to face these challenges. In this paper, we present a Policy-based Management System based on a Fuzzy Logic System that attempts to avoid problematic system states before they occur and that is guided by operator objectives expressed as utilities. Our approach can be seen as an extension of current rule-based Policy-based Management Systems, thus, requiring a reduced implementation effort.
KeywordsPolicy-based Management Proactive Management Fuzzy Logic Utility Theory Rational Decision Making
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bartolini, C., Sallé, M., Trastour, D.: IT service management driven by business objectives: an application to incident management. In: Proc. 10th IEEE/IFIP Network Operations and Management Symposium (NOMS 2006), pp. 45–55. IEEE, Vancouver (2006)Google Scholar
- 2.Bellman, R.E., Zadeh, L.A.: Decision-Making in a Fuzzy Environment. Tech. Rep. NASA CR-1594, National Aeronautics and Space Administration (1970)Google Scholar
- 7.Frenzel, C., Sanneck, H., Bauer, B.: Rational Policy System for Network Management. In: Proc. International Symposium on Integrated Network Management (IM 2013). IEEE, Ghent (2013)Google Scholar
- 9.International Electronical Commission (IEC): IEC 1131 - Programmable Controllers: Part 7 - Fuzzy Control Programming (January 1997), http://www.fuzzytech.com/binaries/ieccd1.pdf
- 10.Kephart, J., Walsh, W.: An artificial intelligence perspective on autonomic computing policies. In: Proc. IEEE International Workshop on Policies for Distributed Systems and Networks (POLICY 2004), pp. 3–12. IEEE, Yorktown Heights (2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Kousaridas, A., Nguengang, G.: Deliverable D2.3: Final Report on Self-Management Artefacts. Tech. rep., Self-Management of Cognitive Future InterNET Elements, Self-NET (2010)Google Scholar
- 12.Kruse, R., Gebhardt, J., Klawonn, F.: Foundations of Fuzzy Systems. Wiley, New York (1994)Google Scholar
- 14.O’Hagan, M.: A Fuzzy Decision Maker, http://www.fuzzysys.com/fdmtheor.pdf
- 15.Russell, S.J., Norvig, P.: Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach, 2nd edn. Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River (2003)Google Scholar
- 16.Strassner, J.: Policy-Based Network Management: Solutions for the Next Generation. Morgan Kaufmann, Amsterdam (2004)Google Scholar