A Usability Study of Dynamic Geometry Software’s Interfaces
The use of information technology such as dynamic geometry software in mathematics teaching has become more popular and essential. There are several benefits of using this software. In spite of the benefits, they have some difficulties in terms of usability, so users have some problems while using them in learning mathematics. The purpose of this study is to investigate the usefulness of these software interfaces. For this purpose, firstly, we selected two dynamic geometry software. One of them is GeoGebra and the other one is Geometer’ Sketchpad. After selecting, 6 tasks designated using this software. In usability test, the participants tried to do task. While doing the tasks, in order to analyze the process, the participants were observed and their eye movements were recorded with eye tracker system. Then their opinions about software asked. Finally all data were analyzed, and discussed.
KeywordsGeoGebra Geometer’s Sketchpad Usability Eye Tracking
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Adnan Akkaya, E.T.: Using Dynamic Software in Teaching of the Symmetry in Analytic Geometry: The Case of GeoGebra. Procedia Social and Behavioral Sciences, 2540–2544 (2011)Google Scholar
- 2.Brooke, J. (n.d.): System Usability Scale, AHRQ Agency for Healthcare and Research and Quality, http://healthhit.ahrq.gov (retrieved January 19, 2013)
- 3.Çağıltay, K.: İnsan Bilgisayar Etkileşimi ve Kullanılabilirlik Mühendisliği: Teoriden Pratiğe. Odtü Yayıncılık, Ankara (2011)Google Scholar
- 4.GeoGebra-Wikipedia (n.d.): Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeoGebra (retrieved November 30, 2012)
- 5.Kamariah Abu Bakar, A.F.: Exploring secondary school student’s motivation using technologies in teaching and learning mathematics. Procedia Social and Behavioral Sciences, 4650–4654 (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Nielsen, J. (n.d.): Ten Heuristic User Interface, http://www.useit.com/papers/heuristic/heuristic_list.html (retrieved January 12, 2012)
- 7.Norazah Nordin, E.Z.: Pedagogical Usability of the Geometer’s Sketchpad (GSP) Digital Module in the Mathematics Teaching. In: 7th WSEAS International Conference on Education and Educational Technology (EDU 2008) (2008) Google Scholar
- 8.Sauro, J.: Measuring Usability with the System Usability Scale (SUS), Measuring Usability, http://www.measuringusability.com/sus.php (retrieved January 19, 2013)
- 9.The Geometer’s Sketchpad-Wikipedia (n.d.): Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Geometer%27s_Sketchpad (retrieved November 30, 2012)
- 10.Yılmaz Zengin, H.F.: The effect of dynamic mathematics software GeoGebra on student achievement in teaching of trigonometry. Procedia Social and Behavioral Sciences, 183–187 (2012)Google Scholar
- 11.Zerrin Ayvaz Reis, S.O.: Using GeoGebra as an information technology tool: parabola teaching. Procedia Social and Behavioral Sciences, 565–572 (2010)Google Scholar