One Possibility for Computer Syndrome: Rethinking Computer Break Software Program
This paper first explored the possibilities of redefining computer break software for advanced function and redesigning the interface for more proper and effective delivery of the informed message, and then discussed the potentiality of drawing the targeted health information online for advanced uses on updated information. It presents an example of how we can create an interactive interface to better motivate users to adopt the program, and how we can fetch online the targeted health information and then present it in a local computer via break software.
Keywordsergonomics computer syndrome interface design computer break software stretch exercise
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Broughton, A.: Eurofound: Place of work and working conditions (2008), http://www.eurofound.europa.eu/ewco/studies/tn0701029s/tn0701029s_4.htm (accessed January 14, 2012)
- 2.Hayes, J.R., Sheedy, J.E., Stelmack, J.A., et al.: Computer use, symptoms, and quality of life. Optometry Vision Sci. 84(8), E738–E755 (2007), doi:10.1097/OPX.0b013e31812f7546Google Scholar
- 3.Marangoni, A.H.: Effects of intermittent stretching exercises at work on musculoskeletal pain associated with the use of a personal computer and the influence of media on outcomes. Work 36(1), 27–37 (2010)Google Scholar
- 4.Matthews, C.E., Chen, K.Y., Freedson, P.S., et al.: Amount of time spent in sedentary behaviors in the United States. Am. J. Epidemiol. 167(7), 875–881 (2003-2004, 2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Stanford University: Student Computing Survey 2010-2011: Undergraduate Results (2010-2011), http://acomp.stanford.edu/surveys/2010_2011_undergraduate (accessed April 20, 2012)
- 6.United States Census Bureau: Internet use in the United States: 2009 (2009), http://www.census.gov/hhes/computer/index.html (accessed December 22, 2011)
- 8.Wang, S.C., Jiang, C., Chern, J.Y.: Promoting healthy computer use: timing-informed computer health animations for prolonged sitting computer users. Journal: Behaviour & Information Technology - Behaviour & IT ahead-of-p(ahead-of-p), 1-7 (2012)Google Scholar