Software Ecosystem Modeling
Increasingly, software producing organizations and their partners are organizing around extendable platforms, forming software ecosystems, a topic that is receiving increasing attention at the moment. Unfortunately, inadequate modeling guidelines exist currently for creating theoretical and visual models of software ecosystems, hampering advancements in this area. Even though, many different tools are available, these do not provide pointers and guidelines for performing correct and insightful modeling of software ecosystems. The aim of this PhD project is to create a modeling framework, consisting of tools, guidelines, and foundations for modeling software ecosystems. With such a framework, software ecosystem researchers, policy makers, and strategic managers of software producing organizations will gain insight into their ecosystems quicker and with higher fidelity.
KeywordsSoftware ecosystems modeling open source role classifications business modeling
- 1.Barbosa, O., Alves, C.: A systematic mapping study on software ecosystems. In: Proc of IWSECO (2011)Google Scholar
- 2.Boucharas, V., Jansen, S., Brinkkemper, S.: Formalizing software ecosystem modeling. In: Proc. of the 1st int’l Workshop on Open Component Ecosystems, pp. 41–50. ACM (2009)Google Scholar
- 3.Handoyo, E., Jansen, S., Brinkkemper, S.: Software ecosystem roles classification. In: Proc. of the Int’l Conf. on Software Business (2013)Google Scholar
- 4.Jansen, S., Finkelstein, A., Brinkkemper, S.: A sense of community: A research agenda for software ecosystems. In: 31st Int’l Conference on Software Engineering-Companion Volume, ICSE-Companion 2009., pp. 187–190. IEEE (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Manikas, K., Hansen, K.M.: Software ecosystems-a systematic literature review. Journal of Systems and Software (2012)Google Scholar