Dynamics of the Earth Radiation Belts During the Strong Magnetic Storms
The results of the experimental studies of the variations of electron flux of energy of 0.3–6 MeV at the outer radiation belt of the Earth during several strongest magnetic storms of the period of August 2001–May 2005 according to the experiment onboard the CORONAS-F satellite are reported. Experimental data recorded during the magnetic storms of 06.11.2001 (Dst = −257 nT), 24.11.2001 (Dst = −221 nT), 29–30.10.2003 (Dst = −400 nT) and 15.05.2005 (Dst = −260 nT) are analyzed. It is shown that all these storms caused sharp decreases of the intensity of the ERB electron flux for energy of several hundreds keV and substantial disappearance of the outer ERB for the electrons with energies of > 1. 5 MeV. At the recovery phase of the storm the recovered outer ERB was observed much nearer to the Earth, near L = 2. 5–3, where before the storm it was observed a slot between the inner and the outer radiation belts. The decrease of the electron flux intensity is associated with a sharp decrease of magnetosphere’s size during the main phase of the storm. For all studied cases variations of the ERB were sufficiently long (not less than several days).
- 1.Bakhareva, M.F.: Nonstationary statistical acceleration of relativistic particles and its role during geomagnetic storms. Geomagnetism Aeronomy 43(6), 687 (2003)Google Scholar
- 2.Emelyanenko, S.P., Kuznetsov, S.N., Stolpovsky, V.G.: The outer radiation belt during the strong magnetic storm. Cosmic Res. 16(4), 529 (1978) (in Russian)Google Scholar
- 3.Kuznetsov, S.N., Suvorova, A.V., Dmitriev, A.V.: Shape and size of the magnetopause associated with parameters of the interplanetary medium. Geomagnetism Aeronomy 38(6), 697–702 (1998)Google Scholar
- 4.Kuznetsov, S.N., Myagkova, I.N., Yushkov, B.Yu., et al.: Dynamics of the Earth radiation belts during strong magnetic storms based on CORONAS-F data. Sol. Syst. Res. 41(4), 338–347 (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Vakulov, P.V., Kovrygina, L.M., Mineev, Yu.V., Tverskaya, L.V.: Variation in intensity and spectrum of energetic electrons in Earth’s radiation belts during strong magnetic disturbances. Space Res. 16, 529–542 (1976) (in Russian)Google Scholar