Meta-design Approach for Mobile Platforms Supporting Creative Tourism Experiences
This paper conceptualizes the application of meta-design approach in the development of a mobile system supporting creative experiences for tourists. Specifically, for those working in creative industries, adaptive mobile system will facilitate effective tourists’ interactions with and interpretations of the local attributes of tourism destinations. The mobile system will integrate the sensory stimuli, the intense contact with cultural nuances and social network, the brand-based reputation, and the creative communities at tourism destinations into the iterative process of perception, conception, and expression of creative ideas among tourists. For destinations trying to highlight their unique characteristics as their value proposition, the development of such system may benefit them from a heightened sense of place due to on-going value co-creation. Individuals will benefit from such system from enhanced creative performances.
KeywordsCreativity Mobile Technology Tourism Meta-design Mobility
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Tussyadiah, I.: When Cell Phones Become Travel Buddies: Social Attribution to Mobile Phones in Travel. In: Cantoni, L., Xiang, Z. (eds.) Information and Communication Technologies in Tourism 2013, Springer, New York (2013)Google Scholar
- 7.Cox, K. (ed.): Spaces of Globalization: Reasserting the Power of the Local. The Guilford Press, New York (1997)Google Scholar
- 8.Binkhorst, E., Den Dekker, T.: Agenda for Co-creation Tourism Experience Research. Journal of Hospitality Marketing and Management 18(2-3), 1–17 (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Richards, G., Raymond, C.: Creative tourism. ATLAS News (23), 16–20 (2000)Google Scholar
- 11.Lockard, W.K.: Design Drawing 2000 Edition. W. W. Norton & Company (2000)Google Scholar
- 12.Shneiderman, B.: Creating Creativity: User Interfaces for Supporting Innovation. ACM TOCHI Special Issue: HCI in the New Millenium (1999)Google Scholar
- 14.Fischer, G., Scharff, E.: Meta-Design: Design for Designers. In: Boyarski, D., Kellogg, W. (eds.) Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Designing Interactive Systems (DIS 2000), pp. 396–405. ACM, New York (2000)Google Scholar
- 15.Fischer, G.: Meta-Design: Beyond User-Centered and Participatory Design. In: Jacko, J., Stephanidis, C. (eds.) Proceedings of HCI International 2003, Crete, Greece, pp. 88–92 (2003)Google Scholar