Evacuation Simulation with Guidance for Anti-disaster Planning
Crowd evacuation simulations are useful tools for analyzing and assessing the safety of building occupants. Agent-based simulations provide a platform for computing individual as well as and collective behaviors in crowds. During an evacuation, it is well known that trained leaders or evacuation guidance play a key role in saving human lives. In this paper, we propose an evacuation simulation system where agents are guided by evacuation orders from authorities. The simulations captured typical behaviors observed during crowd evacuation. For example, the total evacuation time was reduced when most of the agents followed the guidance, although the evacuation times of individual agents were different. When a specific agent is involved in the movement of other agents to a different destination, the evacuation takes a longer amount of time. The simulation appears to depict real-life situations well, which shows that simulations can be a useful tool to estimate evacuation situations prior to emergency evacuation drills.
KeywordsEvacuation Guidance BDI model Disaster prevention planning
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Kuligowski, E.D.: Review of 28 egress models. In: NIST SP 1032; Workshop on Building Occupant Movement During Fire Emergencies (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Thalmann, D., Musse, S.R.: Crowd Simulation. Springer (2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Pan, X.: Computational modeling of human and social behaviors for emergency egress analysis. Ph.D. dissertation, Stanford (2006), http://eil.stanford.edu/xpan/
- 6.Pelechano, N., Allbeck, J.M., Badler, N.I.: Controlling individual agents in high-density crowd simulation. In: Proceedings of the 2007 ACM SIGGRAPH/Eurographics Symposium on Computer Animation, SCA 2007, pp. 99–108. Eurographics Association, Switzerland (2007), http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1272690.1272705Google Scholar
- 7.Okaya, M., Takahashil, T.: Bdi agent model based evacuation simulation. In: AAMAS Demo (2011)Google Scholar
- 8.Tsai, J., Tambe, M.: Escapes - evacuation simulation with children, authorities, parents, emotions, and social comparison. In: AAMAS (2011)Google Scholar
- 9.Cameron Skinner, S.R.: The robocup rescue simulation platform. In: Proc. of 9th Int. Conf. on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems (AAMAS 2010) (2010)Google Scholar
- 10.Government of Japan, A report on the great east japan earthquake, http://www.bousai.go.jp/jishin/chubou/higashinihon/7/index.html (in Japanese)