Modelling User Behaviour and Experience – The R2D2 Networks Approach
The rapidly increasing importance of multimedia services delivered over telecommunication networks has heightened the need for technologies that adapt efficiently to users’ needs. It is of particular interest to understand users of such services. This paper proposes a unified approach to modelling users’ behaviour and experiences in the context of new multimedia services. Static information on users’ behaviour is integrated with users’ real-time feedback about their experiences. A unified user profile is used for implementation of a media-aware, user-dependent, self-adaptive network resource manager. Our first experience shows that such a unified approach might be beneficial for network and service providers. The tool for gathering real-time user experience, we propose, might also be useful in other contexts, such as personalised content recommender systems.
KeywordsQuality of Experience User Experience User Profiles Multimedia Services User Feedback
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Areizaga, E., et al.: A Road to media-aware user-dependent self-adaptive Networks. In: IEEE International Symposium on Broadband Multimedia Systems and Broadcasting, BMSB 2009, pp. 1–6. IEEE Press (2009)Google Scholar
- 2.Karahasanovic, A., Heim, J.: Understanding users of web-TV. In: Adjunct Proceedings EuroITV 2010 - 8th European Conference on Interactive TV and Video, June 9-11, pp. 96–98. Tampere University of Technology, Tampere (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.Karahasanovic, A., et al.: Insights in usage of multimedia straming services. IADIS International Journal on WWW/Internet 10(1), 105–121 (2012)Google Scholar
- 9.Yu, H., et al.: Understanding User Behaviour in Large-Scale Video-on-Demand Systems. In: 1st ACM SIGOPS/EuroSys European Conference on Computer Systems 2006. ACM, Leuven (2006)Google Scholar
- 10.Florez, D., et al.: R2D2 Final report on tests and demontrations, Deliverable D521. In: R2D2 Project report, D. Florez, Editor. Celtic Office (2012)Google Scholar
- 11.Larson, R., Csikszentmihalyi, M.: The experience sampling method. New Directions for Methodology of Social and Behavioral Science 15, 41–56 (1983)Google Scholar
- 13.myServiceFellow, http://www.myservicefellow.com/ (accessed February 25, 2013)