Design and Development of Accessible Educational and Teaching Material for Deaf Students in Greece
The project of the Institute of Educational Policy: “Design and Development of Accessible Educational & Instructional Material for Students with Disabilities” in part aims at developing accessible educational material with Greek Sign Language (GSL) as the main access mode. Material for GSL teaching as a first language to Deaf children is also under development. Part of the project is the development of best practices and standards to be followed in the process of designing, developing and documenting GSL material. The study and the project results, as well as the proper use of the material will be the main focus of an in-service training course for professionals working with deaf children.
KeywordsDeaf children Greek Sign Language accessible educational material
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, http://www.un.org/disabilities/convention/conventionfull.shtml
- 2.Mace, R.L., Hardie, G.J., Place, J.P.: Accessible Environments: Toward Universal Design, North Carolina State University, The Center for Universal Design, Raleig, NC (1996)Google Scholar
- 3.Kourbetis, V., Hatzopoulou, M.: With my Eyes: Educational Perspectives and Practices for Dead Children. Kastaniotis, Athens, Greece (2010) (in Greek) Google Scholar
- 4.Kourbetis, V., Adamopoulou, A., Ferentinos, S.: From Disabling to Enriching the Deaf World: Forms of Discrimination Deaf People Encounter in Europe. OMKE, Athens, Greece (2001) (in English and Greek) Google Scholar
- 5.Sapountzaki, G., Efthimiou, E., Karpouzis, C., Kourbetis, V.: Open-ended resources in Greek Sign Language: Development of an e-learning platform. In: Proceedings of the Workshop on the Representation and Processing of Sign Languages, LREC 2004, Lisbon, pp. 13–19 (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Arampatzi, K., Gιrtis, K., H.M., Kourbetis, V., Zografou, E.: Design and Development of Accessible Educational and Teaching Aids for Students with Disability. In: Tseles, D., Malafantis, K., Pamouktsoglou, A. (eds.) Education and Society: Research and innovation in new technologies, pp. 22–27. Sychroni Ekdotiki, Athens (2012)Google Scholar
- 18.Signing Books Website, http://www.sign-lang.uni-hamburg.de/signingbooks/
- 19.Major Training Program Website, Training Needs Study – Results, http://www.epimorfosi.edu.gr/