An Analysis of the Software Development Processes of Open Source E-Learning Systems
In recent years there has been a rapid increase in demand for e-learning systems. The software development process plays a crucial role in the design and development of a high-quality e-learning system. However, to date, there is no comprehensive comparative study of open source software (OSS) development process for different OS e-learning systems. This hinders the development of a generalized OSS development process, a key requisite for rapidly developing high-quality OS e-learning systems. This paper provides a full analysis of different existing and successful OS e-learning software systems and the best practices followed in the e-learning development. In particular, this paper investigates the software development activities of Moodle, Dokeos and ILIAS. An activity flow representation that describes their current development practices is constructed individually for all three OS e-learning systems. Further, a comprehensive comparative analysis is carried out that leads to an explicit identification of various development stages of the three OS e-learning systems.
KeywordsActivity flow diagram e-Learning open source software software development processes
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Tavangarian, D., Leypold, M., Nölting, K., Röser, M.: Is e-learning the Solution for Individual Learning. Journal of e-Learning 2(2) (2004)Google Scholar
- 2.MOBIlearn (2003), Guidelines for learning/ teaching/ tutoring in a mobile. Technical report, http://www.mobilearn.org/download/results/guidelines.pdf.
- 3.Wexler, S., Dublin, L., Grey, N., Jagannathan, S., Karrer, T., Martinez, M., Mosher, B., Oakes, K., van Barneveld, A.: “LEARNING MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS (LMS)” in GUILD Research 360 degree report (2007), http://www.elearningguild.com/research/archives/index.cfm?id=120
- 4.Clarke, P., O’Connor, R.: Towards the identification of the influence of SPI on the successful evolution of software SMEs. In: Dawson, et al. (eds.) Proceedings of the 18th Int. Conf. on Software Quality Management (2010)Google Scholar
- 5.Scacchi, W., et al.: Understanding Free/Open Source software Development Process. Softw. Process Improve. Pract. 11 (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Scacchi, W.: Software Development Practices in Open Source Software Development communities: A Comparative Case Study. In: 1st Workshop on Open Source Software Engineering (May 2001)Google Scholar
- 7.Moodle, Moodle Development: Overview (2011), http://docs.moodle.org/en/Development:Overview
- 8.ILLIAS, ILIAS Development Guide (2011), https://www.ilias.de/docu/goto_docu_lm_42.html
- 9.Sakai, Sakai development work (2011), https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/MGT/How+Sakai+Development+Works
- 10.Nichols, D.M., Twidale, M.B.: The usability of open source software. First Monday 8(1) (2003)Google Scholar
- 11.Krishnamurthy, A., O’Connor, R.V.: Using ISO/IEC 12207 to Analyze Open Source Software Development Processes: An E-Learning Case Study. In: O’Connor, R. (ed.) SPICE 2013. CCIS, vol. 349, pp. 107–119. Springer, Heidelberg (2013)Google Scholar