RFID-Based Road Guiding Cane System for the Visually Impaired
The RFID-based road guiding cane is a navigation system especially designed for the visually impaired. Geographic location, traffic light signals, and business information are saved in a series of RFID labels constructed beneath the sidewalk. With the road guiding cane reading the RFID labels, the visually impaired can locate themselves, be aware of traffic light signals, and find business information near them on the road. After users set the destination, the cane automatically directs the routes for users via voice by specifying the current location and keeping track of previous locations. Compared with the Global Positioning System, the RFID-based road guiding cane system is more reliable, more accurate, cost-saving, and versatile in providing precise location-based services for the visually impaired.
KeywordsRFID visually impaired road guiding cane navigation system Internet of things
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.World Health Organization: New Estimates of Visual Impairment and Blindness (2010), http://www.who.int/blindness/en/
- 2.Wikipedia: Radio-Frequency Identification (2012), http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rfid
- 4.Nikitin, P.V., Rao, K.V.S.: Performance Limitations of Passive UHF RFID Systems. In: Proceedings of the IEEE Antennas and Propagation Symposium, pp. 1011–1014 (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Dobkin, D.M., Weigand, S.M.: Environmental Effects on RFID Tag Antennas. In: 2005 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, pp. 135–138 (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Kulyukin, V., Gharpure, C., Nicholson, J., Pavithran, S.: RFID in Robot-Assisted Indoor Navigation for the Visually Impaired. In: Proceedings of Intelligent Robots and Systems 2004, pp. 1979–1984 (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Kulyukin, V., Gharpure, C., Nicholson, J.: Robocart: Toward Robot-Assisted Navigation of Grocery Stores by the Visually Impaired. In: Intelligent Robots and Systems 2005, pp. 2845–2850 (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Shiizu, Y., Hirahara, Y., Yanashima, K., Magatani, K.: The Development of a White Cane which Navigates the Visually Impaired. In: Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society 2007, pp. 5005–5008 (2007)Google Scholar