Automatic Estimation of the Arteriolar-to-Venular Ratio in Retinal Images Using a Graph-Based Approach for Artery/Vein Classification
The Arteriolar-to-Venular Ratio (AVR) is a well known index for the diagnosis of diseases such as diabetes, hypertension or cardiovascular pathologies. This paper presents a fully automatic AVR estimation method which uses a graph-based artery/vein classification approach to classify the retinal vessels by a combination of structural information taken from the vasculature graph with intensity features from the original color image. This method was evaluated on the images of the INSPIRE-AVR dataset. The mean error and the correlation coefficient of obtained results with respect to the reference AVR values were identical to the ones obtained by the second observer using a semi-automated system, which demonstrate the potential of the herein proposed solution for clinical application.
KeywordsArtery/Vein classification Arteriolar-to-Venular Ratio Optic disc detection Retinal images Vessel segmentation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Hubbard, L.D., Brothers, R.J., King, W.N., Clegg, L.X., Klein, R., Cooper, L.S., Sharrett, A., Davis, M.D., Cai, J.: Methods for evaluation of retinal microvascular abnormalities associated with hypertension/sclerosis in the atherosclerosis risk in communities study. Ophthalmology 106, 2269–2280 (1999)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Ruggeri, A., Grisan, E., De Luca, M.: An automatic system for the estimation of generalized arteriolar narrowing in retinal images. IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, 6464–6467 (2007)Google Scholar
- 6.Tramontan, L., Grisan, E., Ruggeri, A., Member, S.: An improved system for the automatic estimation of the arteriolar- to-venular diameter ratio (avr) in retinal images. In: 30th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, EMBS 2008, pp. 3550–3553 (2008)Google Scholar
- 11.Mendonça, A., Dashtbozorg, B., Campilho, A.: Segmentation of the vascular network of the retina. In: Ng, E.Y.K., Acharya, U.R., Suri, J.S., Campilho, A. (eds.) Image Analysis and Modeling in Opthalmology. CRC Press (in press, 2013)Google Scholar
- 12.Dashtbozorg, B., Mendonça, A., Campilho, A.: Automatic classification of retinal vessels using structural and intensity information. In: Iberian Conference on Pattern Recognition and Image Analysis, IbPRIA (in press, 2013)Google Scholar
- 13.Niemeijer, M., Xu, X., Dumitrescu, A., Gupta, P., van Ginneken, B., Folk, J., Abramoff, M.: INSPIRE-AVR: Iowa Normative Set for Processing Images of the Retina-Artery Vein Ratio, http://webeye.ophth.uiowa.edu/component/k2/item/270