NEON Implementation of an Attribute-Based Encryption Scheme
In 2011, Waters presented a ciphertext-policy attribute- based encryption protocol that uses bilinear pairings to provide control access mechanisms, where the set of user’s attributes is specified by means of a linear secret sharing scheme. Some of the applications foreseen for this protocol lie in the context of mobile devices such a smartphones and tablets, which in a majority of instances are powered by an ARM processor supporting the NEON vector set of instructions. In this paper we present the design of a software cryptographic library that implements a 127-bit security level attribute-based encryption scheme over mobile devices equipped with a 1.4GHz Exynos 4 Cortex-A9 processor and a developing board that hosts a 1.7 GHz Exynos 5 Cortex-A15 processor. For the latter platform and taking advantage of the inherent parallelism of the NEON vector instructions, our library computes a single optimal pairing over a Barreto-Naehrig curve approximately 2 times faster than the best timings previously reported on ARM platforms at this level of security. Further, using a 6-attribute access formula our library is able to encrypt/decrypt a text/ciphertext in less than 7.5mS and 15.67mS, respectively.
KeywordsAtribute based-encryption pairing-based protocols Barreto-Naehrig curves elliptic curve scalar multiplication ARM processor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Akinyele, J.A., Lehmann, C., Green, M., Pagano, M., Peterson, Z., Rubin, A.: Self-Protecting Electronic Medical Records Using Attribute-Based Encryption. In: Bhattacharya, A., Dasgupta, P., Enck, W. (eds.) The 1st ACM Workshop on Security and Privacy in Smartphones and Mobile Devices SPSM 2011, pp. 75–86. ACM (2010)Google Scholar
- 5.Chung, J., Hasan, M.A.: Asymmetric Squaring Formulas. In: Kornerup, P., Muller, J.-M. (eds.) Proceedings of the 18th IEEE Symposium on Computer Arithmetic, pp. 113–122. IEEE Computer Society (2007)Google Scholar
- 11.Hankerson, D., Menezes, A., Scott, M.: Software implementation of pairings (Chapter 12). In: Joye, M., Neven, G. (eds.) Identity-based Cryptography. Cryptology and Information Security, vol. 2, pp. 188–206. IOS Press (2009)Google Scholar
- 12.Karabina, K.: Squaring in cyclotomic subgroups. Math. Comput. 82(281) (2013)Google Scholar
- 14.Liu, Z., Cao, Z.: On efficiently transferring the linear secret-sharing scheme matrix in ciphertext-policy attribute-based encryption. IACR Cryptology ePrint Archive, 2010:374 (2010)Google Scholar