Anchor-Free Localization Algorithm with Low-Complexity Method for Node Distance Estimation Enhancement Using ToA
We introduce the anchor-free localization algorithm using Time of Arrival node distance estimation technique. ToA using Ultra Wide-Band communication technology is preferred, because it is one of the most promising approaches of the mobile positioning and has a great potential for accurate ranging especially in the harsh indoor environment. Due to very wide bandwidth of the UWB systems, these systems are capable resolving individual multipath components in the received Channel Impulse Response and determining their time of their arrival very precisely. We propose a low-complexity method for mitigation of the Undetected Direct Path effect which causes considerable errors in the node distance estimation. The method combines the mean of the time delay differences of the reflected paths detected in the measured channel power delay profile, overall channel impulse response length and Mean Excess Delay calculated relative to the first detected path. The positioning algorithm has been simulated in LoS, NLoS(OLoS) and NLoS(UDP) communication conditions.
KeywordsAnchor-free localization NLoS UDP mitigation Time of Arrival
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Shang, Y., Ruml, W.: Improved MDS-based localization. In: Twenty-Third Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies, INFOCOM 2004, Hong Kong, March 7-11, vol. 4, pp. 2640–2651 (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Decarli, N., Dardari, D., Geizici, S., D’amico, A.A.: LOS/NLOS Detection for UWB Signals: A Comparative Study Using Experimental Data. In: IEEE International Symposium on Wireless Pervasive Computing (ISWPC), Modena, Italy, May 5-7 (2010)Google Scholar
- 4.Molisch, A.F., et al.: IEEE 802.15.4a Channel Model – Final Report. Tech. Rep., Document IEEE 802.1504-0062-02-004a (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Youssef, A.A.: SALAM: A Scalable anchor-free localization algorithm for wireless sensor networks. In: Dissertation, p. 192. Faculty of the Graduate School of the University of Maryland, College Park (2006)Google Scholar
- 7.Alsindi, N., Duan, C., Jinyun Zhang Tsuboi, T.: NLOS channel identification and mitigation in Ultra Wideband ToA-based Wireless Sensor Networks. In: 6th Workshop on Positioning, Navigation and Communication, WPNC 2009, March 19, pp. 59–66 (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Alavi, B.: Distance Measurement Error Modeling for Time-of-Arrival based indoor geolocation. In: Dissertation, p. 171. Faculty of Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Worcester (April 2006)Google Scholar
- 9.Alsindi, N.: Indoor Cooperative Localization for Ultra Wideband Wireless Sensor Networks. In: Dissertation, p. 149. Faculty of Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Worcester (April 2008)Google Scholar
- 10.Alsindi, N.: Performance of TOA Estimation Algorithms in Different Indoor Multipath Conditions. In: Diploma work, p. 111. Faculty of Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Worcester (April 2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Güvenc, I., Chong, C.-C., Watanabe, F.: NLOS Identification and Mitigation for UWB Localization Systems. In: Wireless Communications and Networking Conference, WCNC 2007, March 11-15, pp. 1571–1576 (2007)Google Scholar