Mixed Integer Programming vs. Logic-Based Benders Decomposition for Planning and Scheduling
A recent paper by Heinz and Beck (CPAIOR 2012) found that mixed integer software has become competitive with or superior to logic-based Benders decomposition for the solution of facility assignment and scheduling problems. Their implementation of Benders differs, however, from that described in the literature they cite and therefore results in much slower performance than previously reported. We find that when correctly implemented, the Benders method remains 2 to 3 orders of magnitude faster than the latest commercial mixed integer software on larger instances, thus reversing the conclusion of the earlier paper.
KeywordsSchedule Problem Constraint Programming Master Problem Bender Decomposition Good Feasible Solution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Beck, J.C., Ku, W.-Y.: Personal communication (September 14, 2012)Google Scholar
- 8.Corréa, A.I., Langevin, A., Rousseau, L.M.: Dispatching and conflict-free routing of automated guided vehicles: A hybrid approach combining constraint programming and mixed integer programming. In: Régin, J.-C., Rueher, M. (eds.) CPAIOR 2004. LNCS, vol. 3011, pp. 370–378. Springer, Heidelberg (2004)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Hooker, J.N.: Planning and scheduling problem instances (with documentation), website (2004), web.tepper.cmu.edu/jnh/instances.htm
- 18.Hooker, J.N.: Integrated Methods for Optimization. Springer (2007)Google Scholar
- 20.Hooker, J.N.: Integrated Methods for Optimization, 2nd edn. Springer (2012)Google Scholar
- 22.Hooker, J.N., Yan, H.: Logic circuit verification by Benders decomposition. In: Saraswat, V., Van Hentenryck, P. (eds.) Principles and Practice of Constraint Programming: The Newport Papers, pp. 267–288. MIT Press, Cambridge (1995)Google Scholar
- 25.Terekhov, D., Beck, J.C., Brown, K.N.: Solving a stochastic queueing design and control problem with constraint programming. In: Proceedings of the 22nd National Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI 2005), pp. 261–266 (2005)Google Scholar