Efficient Image Appearance Description Using Dense Sampling Based Local Binary Patterns
This work presents a novel image appearance description method based on the highly popular local binary pattern (LBP) texture features. The key idea consists of introducing a dense sampling encoding strategy for extracting more stable and discriminative texture patterns in local regions. Compared to the conventional ”sparse” sampling scheme commonly used in basic LBP, our proposed dense sampling aims to generate, through a form of up-sampling, more neighboring pixels so that more stable LBP codes, carrying out richer information, are computed. This yields in significantly enhanced image description which is less prone to noise and to sparse and unstable histograms. Another interesting property of the dense sampling scheme is that it can be easily integrated with many existing LBP variants. Extensive experiments on three different classification problems namely face recognition, texture classification and age group estimation on various challenging benchmark databases clearly demonstrate the efficiency of the proposed scheme, showing very promising results compared not only to original LBP but also to state-of-the-art especially in the very demanding task of human age estimation.
KeywordsFace Recognition Local Binary Pattern Dense Sampling Local Binary Pattern Feature Local Binary Pattern Operator
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Pietikäinen, M., Hadid, A., Zhao, G., Ahonen, T.: Computer Vision Using Local Binary Patterns. Springer (2011)Google Scholar
- 2.Lowe, D.G.: Object recognition from local scale-invariant features. In: ICCV 1999 (1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Dalal, N., Triggs, B.: Histograms of oriented gradients for human detection. In: CVPR 2005 (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Guo, Z., Zhang, L., Zhang, D.: A completed modeling of local binary pattern operator for texture classification. IEEE TIP 19, 1657–1663 (2010)Google Scholar
- 12.Ojala, T., Mäenpää, T., Pietikäinen, M., Viertola, J., Kyllönen, J., Huovinen, S.: Outex - new framework for empirical evaluation of texture analysis algorithms. In: ICPR 2002, pp. 701–706 (2002)Google Scholar
- 15.Gallagher, A., Chen, T.: Understanding images of groups of people. In: CVPR 2012, pp. 256–263 (2012)Google Scholar
- 17.Shan, C.: Learning local features for age estimation on real-life faces. In: MPVA 2010, pp. 23–28 (2010)Google Scholar