Reducing Examples in Relational Learning with Bounded-Treewidth Hypotheses
Feature selection methods often improve the performance of attribute-value learning. We explore whether also in relational learning, examples in the form of clauses can be reduced in size to speed up learning without affecting the learned hypothesis. To this end, we introduce the notion of safe reduction: a safely reduced example cannot be distinguished from the original example under the given hypothesis language bias. Next, we consider the particular, rather permissive bias of bounded treewidth clauses. We show that under this hypothesis bias, examples of arbitrary treewidth can be reduced efficiently. The bounded treewidth bias can be replaced by other assumptions such as acyclicity with similar benefits. We evaluate our approach on four data sets with the popular system Aleph and the state-of-the-art relational learner nFOIL. On all four data sets we make learning faster for nFOIL, achieving an order-of-magnitude speed up on one of the data sets, and more accurate for Aleph.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Liu, H., Motoda, H., Setiono, R., Zhao, Z.: Feature selection: An ever evolving frontier in data mining. Journal of Machine Learning Research - Proceedings Track 10, 4–13 (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.Appice, A., Ceci, M., Rawles, S., Flach, P.A.: Redundant feature elimination for multi-class problems. In: ICML, vol. 69 (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Raedt, L.D.: Logical and Relational Learning: From ILP to MRDM (Cognitive Technologies). Springer-Verlag New York, Inc. (2008)Google Scholar
- 8.Erickson, J.: CS 598: Computational Topology, course notes, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Kuželka, O., Železný, F.: Block-wise construction of acyclic relational features with monotone irreducibility and relevancy properties. In: ICML 2009: the 26th Int. Conf. on Machine Learning (2009)Google Scholar
- 12.Dechter, R.: Constraint Processing. Morgan Kaufmann Publishers (2003)Google Scholar
- 16.Rossi, F., van Beek, P., Walsh, T. (eds.): Handbook of Constraint Programming. Elsevier (2006)Google Scholar
- 22.Žáková, M., Železný, F., Garcia-Sedano, J.A., Masia Tissot, C., Lavrač, N., Křemen, P., Molina, J.: Relational data mining applied to virtual engineering of product designs. In: Muggleton, S.H., Otero, R., Tamaddoni-Nezhad, A. (eds.) ILP 2006. LNCS (LNAI), vol. 4455, pp. 439–453. Springer, Heidelberg (2007)CrossRefGoogle Scholar