Component-Based Development: A Unified Model of Reusability Metrics
Inability to use standard software reusability metrics when measuring component reusability makes the choice of reusability metric a challenging problem in software engineering. In this paper, we give a critical review on the existing component reusability metrics and we suggest new attributes to be included as additional conditions when evaluating component reusability. Due to the incompleteness of already proposed metrics and the lack of a universally accepted and transparent model for measuring reusability, we define a unified model that could be adapted to different reusability requirements and various component solutions. In order to improve the process of measuring component reusability we create a prototype for modeling and combining metrics where reusability can be calculated using the existing or newly composed formulas. This prototype will facilitate the process of testing the component reusability and it will allow users easily to select the right component to be integrated in their system.
KeywordsComponent-Based Development Reusability Model Reusability Metrics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Davis, S., Gillon, B.S.: Semantics: A Reader. Oxford University Press, New York (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.ISO 9126-3 (2003), http://www.iso.org
- 5.Kaloyanova, K., Ignatova, P.: Software Testing Automation. In: Proceedings of the Second International Scientific Conference Computer Science 2005, Chalkidiki, Greece, pp. 220–225 (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Khan, K.M., Han, J.: Assessing Security Properties of Software Components: A Software Engineers Perspective. In: Proceedings of the Australian Software Engineering Conference, pp. 199–210. IEEE Computer Society, Washington, DC (2006)Google Scholar
- 7.Prasanna Venkatesan, V., Krishnamoorthy, M.: A Metrics Suite for Measuring Software Components. JCIT: Journal of Convergence Information Technology 4, 138–153 (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Sarbjeet, S., Manjit, T., Sukhvinder, S., Gurpreet, S.: Software Engineering - Survey of Reusability Based on Software Component. International Journal of Computer Applications 8, 39–42 (2010)Google Scholar
- 10.Shanmugasundaram, G., Prasanna Venkatesan, V., Punitha Devi, C.: Reusability metrics - An Evolution based Study on Object Oriented System, Component based System and Service Oriented System. Journal of Computing 3, 30–38 (2011)Google Scholar
- 11.Sharma, A., Rajesh, K., Grover, P.S.: A Critical Survey of Reusability Aspects for Component-Based Systems. In: Proc. World Adacemy of Science Engineering and Technology, pp. 411–415. Citeseer, Philadelphia (2007)Google Scholar
- 12.Sharma, A., Rajesh, K., Grover, P.S.: Managing Component-Based Systems With Reusable Components. International Journal of Computer Science and Security 1, 52–57 (2007)Google Scholar
- 13.Washizaki, H., Yamamoto, H., Fukazawa, Y.: A Metrics Suite for Measuring Reusability of Software Components. In: Proceedings of the 9th International Symposium on Software Metrics, pp. 211–223. IEEE Computer Society, Washington, DC (2003)Google Scholar
- 15.Kath, O., Schreiner, R., Favaro, J.: Safety, Security, and Software Reuse: A Model-Based Approach. In: Fourth International Workshop in Software Reuse and Safety (RESAFE 2009), Washington, DC, USA (2009)Google Scholar
- 16.Sharma, V., Baliyan, P.: Maintainability Analysis of Component Based Systems. International Journal of Software Engineering and Its Applications 5, 107–118 (2011)Google Scholar