Telemedical System in the Blood Transfusion Service: Usage Analysis
Partners FE, KROG and ZTM (alphabetical order) as stated in acknowledgemetns, have developed, manufactured and installed a telemedical system into the blood transfusion service of Slovenia. The system was installed in eleven hospitals, offering blood transfusion services and two blood transfusion centers. The system was in use for nearly seven years. After period of operation, system state snapshot was performed and analyzed. The analysis was focused on per hospital usage preferences through time. Distribution of patients ABO RhD blood typing was also analyzed. In the paper the telemedical system is presented. The method of data collection and data analysis methods are described. The final section presents results accompanied with discussion where economical impact of the telemedical system in comparison to the manual operation is briefly presented.
Keywordstelemedicine blood transfusion teleconsulting telemedical system blood typing pre-transfusion testing economical impact of telemedicine usage analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Rozman, P., Domanovic, D.: Transfusion medicine in Slovenia - current status and future challenges, vol. 33, pp. 420–426 (2006)Google Scholar
- 2.Bricl, I., Breskvar, M., Tasi, J., Mea, M., Roman, P., Jeras, M.: Telemedicine as a support system to blood transfusion service reorganization in the Republic of Slovenia. Published poster on XXXIst International Congress of the ISBT, Germany (2010)Google Scholar
- 4.Meza, M., Kosir, A.: Gelcard illumination enhancement in Gelscope 80 by LED distribution optimization. Elektrotehniki Vestnik 76, 79–84 (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.Meza, M., Pogacnik, M., Tkalcic, M., Jere, A., Breskvar, M., Rozman, P., Bricl, I., Tasic, J.F., Leban, M.: Description of pilot implementation of telemedicine system in blood transfusion practice. In: Proceedings of the COST. Thessaloniki: Informatics and Telematics Institute, Centre for Research and Technology, Thessaloniki, pp. 61–65 (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Meza, M.: Development and introduction of the telemedical system into the blood transfusion practice. In: Advances in Telemedicine: Applications in Various Medical Disciplines and Geographical Regions, pp. 179–200. Intech, Rijeka (2011)Google Scholar
- 14.Anthea, M., Hopkins, J., McLaughlin, C.W., Johnson, S., Quon Warner, M., LaHart, D., Wright, J.: Human Biology and Health. Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs (1993)Google Scholar
- 15.Breskvar, M., Veluscek, I., Bric, I., Peterlin, S.: The economical impact of introducing telemedicine system into the Slovenian blood transfusion service. Informatica Medica Slovenica 15, 11–12 (2010)Google Scholar