Community Detection by Local Influence
We present a new algorithm to discover overlapping communities in networks with a scale free structure. This algorithm is based on a node evaluation function that scores the local influence of a node based on its degree and neighbourhood, allowing for the identification of hubs within a network. Using this function we are able to identify communities, and also to attribute meaningful titles to the communities that are discovered. Our novel methodology is assessed using LFR benchmark for networks with overlapping community structure and the generalized normalized mutual information (NMI) measure. We show that the evaluation function described is able to detect influential nodes in a network, and also that it is possible to build a well performing community detection algorithm based on this function.
Keywordsgraph theory link analysis centrality community detection overlapping communities
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Figueira, Á., et al.: Breadcrumbs: A social network based on the relations established by collections of fragments taken from online news, http://breadcrumbs.up.pt (retrieved January 19, 2012)
- 3.Cohen, R., Havlin, S., Ben-Avraham, D.: Structural properties of scale free networks (2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Cravino, N., Devezas, J., Figueira, Á.: Using the Overlapping Community Structure of a Network of Tags to Improve Text Clustering. In: Proceedings of the 23rd ACM Conference on Hypertext and Social Media HT 2012 (2012)Google Scholar
- 9.Lancichinetti, A., Fortunato, S., Radicchi, F.: Benchmark graphs for testing community detection algorithms. Physical Review E - Statistical, Nonlinear and Soft Matter Physics 78(4 Pt. 2), 6 (2008)Google Scholar
- 11.Xie, J., Kelley, S., Szymanski, B.K.: Overlapping Community Detection in Networks: the State of the Art and Comparative Study. Arxiv preprint arXiv11105813, V, pp. 1–30 (November 2011)Google Scholar
- 12.Xie, J., Szymanski, B.K., Liu, X.: SLPA: Uncovering Overlapping Communities in Social Networks via a Speaker-Listener Interaction Dynamic Process (2011)Google Scholar
- 13.Yang, J., Leskovec, J.: Structure and Overlaps of Communities in Networks. Arxiv preprint arXiv12056228 (2012)Google Scholar
- 14.Zachary, W.W.: An information flow model for conflict and fission in small groups. Journal of Anthropological Research 33(4), 452–473 (1977)Google Scholar