Task Topic Knowledge vs. Background Domain Knowledge: Impact of Two Types of Knowledge on User Search Performance
Domain knowledge affects search success and behaviors but different aspects of domain knowledge, i.e., topic knowledge and background knowledge, has not normally been distinguished. We were interested in finding out if the two would have different effects on search performance for typical research search tasks, and we report empirical evidence from a user study. Participants’ topic knowledge and background knowledge were measured separately as different aspects of domain knowledge. Our results indicate that topic knowledge and background knowledge impact search performance at different levels. While topic knowledge was significantly correlated with performance measures for individual tasks, background knowledge was significantly correlated with performance at more general levels, over multiple task sessions. This finding furthers our understanding of the role of domain knowledge in search activities.
KeywordsPersonalization information retrieval domain knowledge search performance user studies
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Bierig, R., Gwizdka, J., Cole, M.: A user-centered experiment and logging framework for interactive information retrieval. In: Belkin, N.J., Bierig, R., Buscher, G., van Elst, L., Gwizdka, J., Jose, J., Teevan, J. (eds.) Proceedings of the SIGIR 2009 Workshop on Understanding the User - Logging and Interpreting User Interactions in IR (2009)Google Scholar
- 3.Duggan, G.B., Payne, S.J.: Knowledge in the head and on the web: Using topic expertise to aid search. In: Proc. SIGCHI, pp. 39–48 (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Kelly, D., Cool, C.: The effects of topic familiarity on information search behavior. In: JCDL 2002, pp. 74–75 (2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Liu, J., Belkin, N.J.: Personalizing information retrieval for people with different levels of topic knowledge. In: JCDL 2010 (2010)Google Scholar
- 12.White, R., Dumais, S.T., Teevan, J.: Characterizing the influence of domain expertise on Web search behavior. In: Proceedings of WSDM 2009 (2009)Google Scholar
- 14.Zhang, X., Anghelescu, H.G.B., Yuan, X.: Domain knowledge, search behavior, and search effectiveness of engineering and science students. Information Research 10(2), 21 (2005)Google Scholar