Decidability for Justification Logics Revisited
- 538 Downloads
Justification logics are propositional modal-like logics that instead of statements A is known include statements of the form A is known for reason t where the term t can represent an informal justification for A or a formal proof of A. In our present work, we introduce model-theoretic tools, namely: filtrations and a certain form of generated submodels, in the context of justification logic in order to obtain decidability results. Apart from reproving already known results in a uniform way, we also prove new results. In particular, we use our submodel construction to establish decidability for a justification logic with common knowledge for which so far no decidability proof was available.
KeywordsJustification logic decidability filtration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Artemov, S.N.: Operational modal logic. Tech. Rep. MSI 95–29, Cornell University (December 1995)Google Scholar
- 4.Artemov, S.N., Fitting, M.: Justification logic. In: Zalta, E.N. (ed.) The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy. Fall 2011 edn. (2011), http://plato.stanford.edu/archives/fall2011/entries/logic-justification/
- 5.Artemov, S.N., Kuznets, R.: Logical omniscience as a computational complexity problem. In: Heifetz, A. (ed.) Proceedings of the Twelfth Conference on Theoretical Aspects of Rationality and Knowledge, TARK 2009, July 6-8, pp. 14–23. ACM, Stanford University (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Blackburn, P., Rijke, M., Venema, Y.: Modal logic. Cambridge Tracts in Theoretical Computer Science. Cambridge University Press (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Brünnler, K., Goetschi, R., Kuznets, R.: A syntactic realization theorem for justification logics. In: Beklemishev, L.D., Goranko, V., Shehtman, V. (eds.) Advances in Modal Logic, vol. 8, pp. 39–58. College Publications (2010)Google Scholar
- 8.Bucheli, S., Kuznets, R., Renne, B., Sack, J., Studer, T.: Justified belief change. In: Arrazola, X., Ponte, M. (eds.) LogKCA 2010, Proceedings of the Second ILCLI International Workshop on Logic and Philosophy of Knowledge, Communication and Action, pp. 135–155. University of the Basque Country Press (2010)Google Scholar
- 13.Kuznets, R.: Complexity Issues in Justification Logic. Ph.D. thesis, CUNY Graduate Center (May 2008), http://gradworks.umi.com/33/10/3310747.html
- 17.Pacuit, E.: A note on some explicit modal logics. In: Proceedings of the 5th Panhellenic Logic Symposium, July 25-28, pp. 117–125. University of Athens, Athens (2005)Google Scholar
- 19.Segerberg, K.: An Essay in Classical Modal Logic. Uppsala,Filosofiska Föreningen Och Filosofiska Institutionen Vid Uppsala Universitet (1971)Google Scholar
- 20.Studer, T.: Decidability for some justification logics with negative introspection. Journal of Symbolic Logic (to appear), http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~tstuder/papers/J5_Decidability.pdf