Towards Active Measurements of Edge Network Outages
End-to-end reachability is a fundamental service of the Internet. We study network outages caused by natural disasters [2,5], and political upheavals .
We propose a new approach to outage detection using active probing. Like prior outage detection methods [3,4], our method uses ICMP echo requests (“pings”) to detect outages, but we probe with greater density and finer granularity, showing pings can detect outages without supplemental probing.
The main contribution of our work is to define how to interpret pings as outages (\(\S\)2): defining an outage as a sharp change in block responsiveness relative to recent behavior. We also provide preliminary analysis of outage rate in the Internet edge. Space constrains this poster abstract to only sketches of our approach; details and validation are in our technical report . Our data is available at no charge, see http://www.isi.edu/ant/traces/internet_outages/.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Heidemann, J., Pradkin, Y., Govindan, R., Papadopoulos, C., Bartlett, G., Bannister, J.: Census and Survey of the Visible Internet. In: Proc. of ACM IMC (October 2008)Google Scholar
- 2.International Business Times. Optus, Telstra see service outages after Cyclone Yasi (2011), http://hken.ibtimes.com/articles/108249/20110203/optus-telstra-see-service-outages-after-cyclone-yasi.htm
- 3.Katz-Bassett, E., Madhyastha, H.V., John, J.P., Krishnamurthy, A., Wetherall, D., Anderson, T.: Studying black holes in the internet with Hubble. In: NSDI (2008)Google Scholar
- 4.Madhyastha, H.V., Isdal, T., Piatek, M., Dixon, C., Anderson, T., Krishnamurthy, A., Venkataramani, A.: iPlane: an information plane for distributed services. In: OSDI (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Malik, O.: In Japan, many undersea cables are damaged. GigaOM blog (March 14, 2011), http://gigaom.com/broadband/in-japan-many-under-sea-cables-are-damaged/
- 6.Quan, L., Heidemann, J., Pradkin, Y.: Detecting internet outages with precise active probing (extended). Technical Report ISI-TR-2012-678, USC/ISI (February 2012)Google Scholar
- 7.Quan, L., Heidemann, J., Pradkin, Y.: Visualizing sparse internet events: Network outages and route changes. In: ACM Workshop on Internet Visualization (November 2012)Google Scholar
- 8.Times, N.Y.: Egypt cuts off most internet and cell service, http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/29/technology/internet/29cutoff.html