Scaling Out the Performance of Service Monitoring Applications with BlockMon
To cope with real-time data analysis as the amount of data being exchanged over the network increases, an idea is to re-design algorithms originally implemented on the monitoring probe to work in a distributed manner over a stream-processing platform. In this paper we show preliminary performance analysis of a Twitter trending algorithm when running over BlockMon, an open-source monitoring platform which we extended to run distributed data-analytics algorithms: we show that it performs up to 23.5x and 34.2x faster on BlockMon than on Storm and Apache S4 respectively, two emerging stream-processing platforms.
KeywordsTwitter User Monitoring Probe Remote Transmission Parser Library Nest Copy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Apache Hadoop, http://hadoop.apache.org (accessed September 01, 2012)
- 3.di Pietro, A., Huici, F., Bonelli, N., Trammell, B., Kastovsky, P., Groleat, T., Vaton, S., Dusi, M.: Blockmon: Toward high-speed composable network traffic measurement. In: Proceedings of the IEEE Infocom Conference, Mini-conference (2013)Google Scholar
- 4.BlockMon, http://blockmon.github.com/blockmon (accessed August 30, 2012)
- 5.Storm, http://storm-project.net (accessed August 30, 2012)
- 6.Apache S4, http://incubator.apache.org/s4 (accessed August 30, 2012)