Approximation Algorithms for the Partition Vertex Cover Problem
We consider a natural generalization of the Partial Vertex Cover problem. Here an instance consists of a graph G = (V,E), a cost function c: V → ℤ + , a partition P 1, …, P r of the edge set E, and a parameter k i for each partition P i . The goal is to find a minimum cost set of vertices which cover at least k i edges from the partition P i . We call this the Partition-VC problem. In this paper, we give matching upper and lower bound on the approximability of this problem. Our algorithm is based on a novel LP relaxation for this problem. This LP relaxation is obtained by adding knapsack cover inequalities to a natural LP relaxation of the problem. We show that this LP has integrality gap of O(logr), where r is the number of sets in the partition of the edge set. We also extend our result to more general settings.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Vazirani, V.V.: Approximation algorithms. Springer-Verlag New York, Inc., New York (2001)Google Scholar
- 2.Williamson, D.P., Shmoys, D.B.: The Design of Approximation Algorithms. Cambridge University Press (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.Bar-Yehuda, R., Even, S.: A linear time approximation algorithm for approximating the weighted vertex cover (1981)Google Scholar
- 4.Hochbaum, D.S. (ed.): Approximation algorithms for NP-hard problems. PWS Publishing Co., Boston (1997)Google Scholar
- 7.Bar-Yehuda, R.: Using homogenous weights for approximating the partial cover problem. In: Proceedings of the Tenth Annual ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms, SODA 1999, pp. 71–75. Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, Philadelphia (1999)Google Scholar
- 9.Carr, R.D., Fleischer, L.K., Leung, V.J., Phillips, C.A.: Strengthening integrality gaps for capacitated network design and covering problems. In: Proceedings of the Eleventh Annual ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms, SODA 2000, pp. 106–115. Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, Philadelphia (2000)Google Scholar
- 10.Kearns, M.J.: The computational complexity of machine learning (1990)Google Scholar
- 14.Charikar, M., Khuller, S., Mount, D.M., Narasimhan, G.: Algorithms for facility location problems with outliers. In: Proceedings of the Twelfth Annual ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms, SODA 2001, pp. 642–651. Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, Philadelphia (2001)Google Scholar
- 15.Chen, K.: A constant factor approximation algorithm for k-median clustering with outliers. In: Proceedings of the Nineteenth Annual ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms, SODA 2008, pp. 826–835. Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, Philadelphia (2008)Google Scholar
- 18.Vondrák, J., Chekuri, C., Zenklusen, R.: Submodular function maximization via the multilinear relaxation and contention resolution schemes. In: STOC, pp. 783–792 (2011)Google Scholar
- 22.Hochbaum, D.S.: Approximation algorithm for the weighted set covering and node cover problems (1980) (unpublished manuscript)Google Scholar