Sensor Reader Emulator for Integrating Sensor Networks into EPCglobal Network
Sensor networks and RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) systems are two essential components of pervasive computing. In recent sensor applications, sensor networks and RFID systems usually co-exist and their data are interrelated to each other. In this paper, we propose a novel middleware system—SRE (Sensor Reader Emulator)—that emulates standard reader functionality so as to seamlessly integrate sensor networks into the RFID based EPCglobal Network. In SRE, every sensor nodes is assigned an EPC (Electronic Product Code) and its data is delivered in the form of a standard reader message. RFID applications in higher levels can access the sensor nodes as if they are sensor tags. Therefore applications using sensor networks and RFID systems can be developed more efficiently.
KeywordsSensor reader emulator Sensor network RFID Electronic product code Reader protocol
This work was supported by the Grant of the Korean Ministry of Education, Science and Technology (The Regional Core Research Program/Institute of Logistics Information Technology).
- Choi S-H, Kim T-Y, Kwon O-H, Song H-J (2010) Sensor reader emulation system for accessing sensor device through EPCglobal reader protocol. J KIISE: Comput Pract Lett 6(8):825–887Google Scholar
- EPCglobal (2006) Reader protocol standard version 1.1Google Scholar
- EPCglobal (2007) The EPCglobal architecture frameworkGoogle Scholar
- EPCglobal (2009) The application level events (ALE) specification, Part I: core specificationGoogle Scholar
- Floerkemeier C, Lampe M, Roduner C (2007) Facilitating RFID development with the Ac-cada prototyping platform. Fifth annual IEEE international conference on pervasive computing and communications workshops (PerComW’07), pp 495–500Google Scholar
- Sung J, Sanchez TL, Kim D (2007) EPC sensor network for RFID and USN integrated infrastructure. In: Fifth annual IEEE international conference on pervasive computing and communicationsGoogle Scholar
- Uckelmann D, Harrison M, Michahelles F (2011) Architecting the internet of things. Springer, Berlin, pp 1–24Google Scholar
- Zhang L, Wang Z (2006) Integration of RFID into wireless sensor networks: architectures, opportunities and challenging problems. 2006 Fifth international conference on grid and cooperative computing workshops, pp 463–469Google Scholar