The Design of the ROHC Header Compression Accelerator
ROHC (Robust Header Compression) packet header compression protocol could reduce the extra overhead, which introduced by the packetizing of the Internet transport protocol, and utilize the wireless bandwidth more effectively, so it is widely used. Previous studies are mainly focused on the software implementation and optimization of key parameters. This paper introduces the ROHC header compression scheme applied in the wireless environment, and designs the framework of ROHC header compression scheme in U-mode. The header compressor of IPv4/UDP/RTP header has also been realized according to the principle of ROHC under U-mode. The modules and the implementation of the compressor are described in this paper. The performances of ROHC header compression system is analyzed through experiments. The result shows that the hardware accelerator achieves the function of ROHC packet header compression protocol correctly, and significantly reduces the overhead of packet headers to effectively improve the link utilization; at the same time has good usability and flexibility.
KeywordsROHC hardware accelerator compressor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Mani, D., Gaubler, M., Frehner, C.: ROHC Implementation. University of Applied Sciences Rapperswil, USA (2005)Google Scholar
- 2.Li, X.W., Hu, X.L.: Research and realization of ROHC in PDCP sublayer in 3G system. Journal of Chongqing University of Posts and Telecommunications (Natural Secience Edition) 22, 174–178 (2010) (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 3.He, X.S., Hu, H.Y.: Mechanism of Header Compression over AODV-based MANET. Communications Technology 41, 138–139 (2008) (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 4.Wu, T.Y., Chao, H.C., Lo, C.H.: Mechanism of Header Compression over AODV-based MANET. Communications Technology 5, 138–139 (2008) (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 6.Kim, J., Woo, H., Lee, H.: Dynamic Adjustment of Optimistic Parameter of ROHC for Performance Improvement. In: Proc. IEEE Symp. International Conference on Information Networking (ICOIN 2009), pp. 1–3. IEEE Press, Chiang Mai (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Weng, W., Liu, S.P.: Hardware Implementation of the CRC Calculation in ROHC Protocol. Electronic Technology 6, 19–20 (2011) (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 8.Bormann, C., Burmeister, C., Degermark, M.: Robust Header Compression (ROHC): Framework and four profiles: RTP, UDP, ESP and Uncompressed. Standards Track (2001)Google Scholar