3D Modelling of the Temples of Angkor Based on Religious Conceptions
The highly detailed decorated ancient temples in Angkor are religious buildings dedicating mainly to god and god king. It has therefore been built based on a sophisticated conception related to religion and microcosm.
This paper introduces a computational approach and module-based architecture for the improvement of modelling complex three-dimensional geometry of ancient temples in Cambodia. The development of this method is based on empirical observation and structural analysis of the temple architecture, particularly the concept of the sacred lotus flower as the religious iconography behind the architecture. Mathematical models and algorithms have been developed for practical experiments. Finally, a software tool specifically designed for 3D modelling of Khmer temples will be presented.
Keywords3D modelling Scientific computing Cultural heritage Angkor Temple Generator Angkor Wat
I would like to thank Prof. Hans Georg Bock and Prof. Willi Jäger of the Interdisciplinary Center for Scientific Computing (IWR), Faculty of Mathematics at Heidelberg University/Germany for their valuable help in supervising my PhD thesis (2009) on the above summarized topic.
- Bunce, Fredrick W. 2002. The Iconography of Architectural Plans—A Study of the Influence of Buddhism and Hinduism on Plans of South and Southeast Asia. New Delhi: D.K. Printworld.Google Scholar
- Chevrier, Christine, Nathalie Charbonneau, Pierre Grussenmeyer, and Jean-Pierre Perrin. 2009. “Parametric Documenting of Built Heritage: 3D Virtual Reconstruction of Architectural Details.” International Journal of Architectural Computing 2(8): 131–146.Google Scholar
- Evers, Bernd. 2006. Architekturtheorie—Von der Renaissance bis zum Gegenwart. Köln: Taschen.Google Scholar
- Fuchs, Alain. 2006. Outils numériques pour le relevé architectural et la restitution archéologique. PhD diss., University of Henri Poincaré, Nancy 1.Google Scholar
- Harmsen, Silvia. 2006. Algorithmic Computer Reconstructions of Stalactite Vaults—Muqarnas—Islamic Architecture. PhD diss., University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg.Google Scholar
- Hayet, Kadi. 2004. Du modèle architectural au modèle géométrique. Modélisation de colonnettes khmères à partir de nuages de points. PhD diss., DEA—Nancy.Google Scholar
- von Mauch, Johann Matthäus, Charles Pierre Joseph Normand, and Donald M. Rattner. 1998. Parallel of the Classical Orders of Architecture. New York: Acanthus Press.Google Scholar
- Nguonphan, Pheakdey. 2009. Computer Modeling, Analysis and Visualization of Angkor Wat Style Temples in Cambodia. PhD diss., University of Heidelberg.Google Scholar
- Schreiner, Peter. 2002. Im Mondschein öffnet sich der Lotus—Der Hinduismus. München: Deutscher Taschenbuch Verlag.Google Scholar