On Structural Parameterizations for the 2-Club Problem
The NP-hard 2-Club problem is, given an undirected graph G = (V,E) and a positive integer ℓ, to decide whether there is a vertex set of size at least ℓ that induces a subgraph of diameter at most two. We make progress towards a systematic classification of the complexity of 2-Club with respect to structural parameterizations of the input graph. Specifically, we show NP-hardness of 2-Club on graphs that become bipartite by deleting one vertex, on graphs that can be covered by three cliques, and on graphs with domination number two and diameter three. Moreover, we present an algorithm that solves 2-Club in |V| f(k) time, where k is the so-called h-index of the input graph. By showing W-hardness for this parameter, we provide evidence that the above algorithm cannot be improved to a fixed-parameter algorithm. This also implies W-hardness with respect to the degeneracy of the input graph. Finally, we show that 2-Club is fixed-parameter tractable with respect to “distance to co-cluster graphs” and “distance to cluster graphs”.
KeywordsBipartite Graph Undirected Graph Vertex Cover Interval Graph Input Graph
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.Chang, M.S., Hung, L.J., Lin, C.R., Su, P.C.: Finding large k-clubs in undirected graphs. In: Proc. 28th Workshop on Combinatorial Mathematics and Computation Theory (2011)Google Scholar
- 9.Downey, R.G., Fellows, M.R.: Parameterized Complexity. Springer (1999)Google Scholar
- 13.Mahdavi, F., Balasundaram, B.: On inclusionwise maximal and maximum cardinality k-clubs in graphs. Discrete Optim. (to appear, 2012)Google Scholar
- 16.Niedermeier, R.: Invitation to Fixed-Parameter Algorithms. Oxford University Press (2006)Google Scholar
- 17.Niedermeier, R.: Reflections on multivariate algorithmics and problem parameterization. In: Proc. 27th STACS. LIPIcs, vol. 5, pp. 17–32. Schloss Dagstuhl–Leibniz-Zentrum für Informatik (2010)Google Scholar
- 19.Schäfer, A., Komusiewicz, C., Moser, H., Niedermeier, R.: Parameterized computational complexity of finding small-diameter subgraphs. Optim. Lett. 6(5) (2012)Google Scholar
- 20.Schäfer, A.: Exact algorithms for s-club finding and related problems. Diploma thesis, Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena (2009)Google Scholar