Interactive Data: Technology and Cost of Capital
We examine the introduction of the voluntary filing program (VFP) by the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) for the introduction of XBRL (eXtensible Business Reporting Language), or Interactive Data as called in the US. XBRL is a machine-readable standardized format for financial reports. The VFP allowed firms to file annual and quarterly reports using XBRL. This program represents a quasi-natural experiment to isolate the effects of an improvement in the information environment of program participants. We study two documented effects of voluntary disclosure, reduced cost of capital and increased information intermediation. Our results show a decrease in the cost of capital, especially for financial and IT firms, and an increase in information intermediation. These effects support existing literature on the adoption of IT in firms and voluntary corporate disclosure and sheds light on the decision to be an early adopter of XBRL reporting technologies.
KeywordsVoluntary disclosure Information Cost of capital Financial reporting
- 2.SEC: Release no. 33-9002 (April 13, 2009). Interactive Data to Improve Financial Reporting (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Debreceny, R.S., Chandra, A., Cheh, J.J., Guithues-Amrhein, D., Hannon, N.J., Hutchison, P.D., Janvrin, D., Jones, R.A., Lamberton, B., Lymer, A., Mascha, M., Nehmer, R., Roohani, S., Srivastava, R.P., Trabelsi, S., Tribunella, T., Trites, G., Vasarhelyi, M.A.: Financial reporting in XBRL on the SEC’s EDGAR System: A critique and evaluation. J. Inf. Syst. 29(2), 191–210 (2005)Google Scholar
- 11.MacKinlay, A.C.: Event studies in economics and finance. J. Econ. Lit. 35(1), 13–39 (1997)Google Scholar
- 17.Gray, S.J., Meek, G.K., Roberts, C.B.: International capital market pressures and voluntary annud report disclosures by U.S. and U.K. Multinationals. J. Int. Fin. Manage. Acc. 6(1):43–68 (1995)Google Scholar
- 20.Lang, M., Lundholm, R.: Corporate disclosure policy and analyst behavior. Acc. Rev. 71(4), 467–496 (1996)Google Scholar