GPU Accelerated Likelihoods for Stereo-Based Articulated Tracking
For many years articulated tracking has been an active research topic in the computer vision community. While working solutions have been suggested, computational time is still problematic. We present a GPU implementation of a ray-casting based likelihood model that is orders of magnitude faster than a traditional CPU implementation. We explain the non-intuitive steps required to attain an optimized GPU implementation, where the dominant part is to hide the memory latency effectively. Benchmarks show that computations which previously required several minutes, are now performed in few seconds.
KeywordsCUDA GPU Computing Articulated Tracking Particle Filtering
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Sminchisescu, C., Triggs, B.: Kinematic Jump Processes for Monocular 3D Human Tracking. In: IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, pp. 69–76 (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Deutscher, J., Blake, A., Reid, I.: Articulated body motion capture by annealed particle filtering. In: CVPR, p. 2126. IEEE Computer Society (2000)Google Scholar
- 6.Bandouch, J., Beetz, M.: Tracking Humans Interacting with the Environment Using Efficient Hierarchical Sampling and Layered Observation Models. In: IEEE Int. Workshop on Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Cabido, R., Concha, D., Pantrigo, J.J., Montemayor, A.S.: High Speed Articulated Object Tracking Using GPUs: A Particle Filter Approach. In: 2009 10th International Symposium on Pervasive Systems, Algorithms, and Networks, pp. 757–762. IEEE (2009)Google Scholar
- 10.Sengupta, S., Harris, M., Zhang, Y., Owens, J.D.: Scan primitives for gpu computing. In: Proceedings of the 22nd ACM SIGGRAPH/EUROGRAPHICS Symposium on Graphics Hardware, Aire-la-Ville, Switzerland, pp. 97–106. Eurographics Association (2007)Google Scholar
- 11.CUDPP: Cuda data parallel primitives library, http://code.google.com/p/cudpp/ (accessed Online April 2010)
- 12.NVIDIA Corporation: NVIDIA CUDA Best Practices Guide. version 3.0 (2010)Google Scholar