Indiscernability and Mean Field, a Base of Quantum Interaction
We study the convergence of the Schrödinger equation, when the Planck constant tends to 0. Our analysis leads us to introduce non-discerned particles in classical mechanics and discerned particles in quantum mechanics. These non-discerned particles in classical mechanics correspond to an action and a density which verify the statistical Hamilton-Jacobi equations. The indiscernability of classical particles provides a very simple and natural explanation to the Gibbs paradox. We then consider the case of a large number of identical non-discerned interacting particles modeled by a mean field. In classical mechanics these particles satisfy the mean field Hamilton-Jacobi equations. We show how the analysis of non-discerned particles in classical mechanics can be fruitfully applied to some other fields. In economics, we show that the theory of mean field games, where non-discerned agents are considered interacting with one another, is the analogue of mean field Hamilton-Jacobi equations.
Keywordsindiscernability Gibbs paradox mean field mean field game Hamilton-Jacobi equations
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Gondran, M., Gondran, A.: Discerned and non-discerned particles in classical mechanics and convergence of quantum mechanics to classical mechanics. Annales de la Fondation Louis de Broglie 36, 117–135 (2011)Google Scholar
- 4.Gondran, M., Gondran, A.: The two limits of the Schrödinger equation in the semi-classical approximation: discerned and non-discerned particles in classical mechanics. In: Proceeding of AIP, Conference Foundations of Probability and Physics 6, Växjö, Sweden, vol. 1424 (June 2011)Google Scholar
- 8.Cohen-Tannoudji, C., Diu, B., Laloë, F.: Quantum Mechanics. Wiley, New York (1977)Google Scholar
- 9.Lasry, J.-M., Lions, P.L.: Jeux à champ moyen I:le cas stationnaire. C. R. Acad. Sci. Paris 343(9) (2006)Google Scholar
- 10.Lasry, J.-M., Lions, P.L.: Jeux à champ moyen II: horizon fini et contrôle optimal. C. R. Acad. Sci. Paris 343(10) (2006)Google Scholar
- 11.Lasry, J.-M., Lions, P.L.: Mean Field Games. Japanese Journal of Mathematics 2(1) (March 2007)Google Scholar
- 12.Guéant, O.: Mean Fields Games and Applications to Economics - Secondary topic: Discount rates and sustainable development, Ecole doctorale EDDIMO, Centre de Recherche CEREMADE, Université Paris Dauphine (June 30, 2009)Google Scholar
- 13.Fessler, D., Lautier, D., Lasry, J.-M.: The economics of sustainable development. Ed. Economica, 366 pages (2010) ISBN 978-2-7178-5851-8Google Scholar
- 14.Guéant, O.: A reference case for mean field games models. Cahier de la Chaire Finance et Développement Durable (10) (June 30, 2009)Google Scholar