A Dynamic Caching Algorithm Based on the Pheromone for Content Distribution Networks
A content distribution network (CDN) is a system to improve the delivery of content to the end users on the Internet, in which popular content may be cached or replicated at a number of servers, placed closer to some client populations. The design of a CDN consists of defining which content should be replicated at each server, the number of servers, where they should be placed in the network, which server a client’s requests should be sent to, and how server responses should be routed to the clients. CDNs were originally designed for traditional web files. However, given the increase in streaming media content on the Internet, the development of efficient CDN design methods that take into account the special characteristics of media objects, is of great interest. These characteristics include sustained high bandwidth requirements and faster response time by multicast delivery. The main goal of this paper is to propose an algorithm for designing a streaming media CDN with the efficient byte hit ratio and fast response time. We propose the segment-based dynamic caching mechanism with the pheromone that is defined a kind of lifetime of each segment. We evaluate this algorithm in simulations using CDNsim.
KeywordsCDN segment based caching pheromone
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Sen, S., Rexford, K., Towsley, D.: Proxy Prefix Caching for Multimedia Streams. In: Proc. IEEE INFOCOM 1999, New York, USA (March 1999)Google Scholar
- 2.Chesire, M., Wolman, A., Voelker, G., Levy, H.: Measurement and Analysis of a Streaming Media Workload. In: Proc. of the 3rd USENIX Symposium on InternetGoogle Scholar
- 3.Rejaie, R., Handley, M., Yu, H., Estrin, D.: Proxy Caching Mechanism for Multimedia Playback Streams in the Internet. In: Proc. of WCW 1999 (April 1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Wu, K., Yu, P.S., Wolf, J.L.: Segment-based Proxy Caching of Multimedia Streams. In: WWW 2001, pp. 36–44 (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Chen, S., Wang, H., Zhang, X., Shen, B., Wee, S.: Segment-based Proxy Caching for Internet Streaming Media Delivery. IEEE Multimedia 12(3) (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Stamos, K., Pallis, G., Vakali, A., Katsaros, D., Sidiropoulos, A., Manolopoulos, Y.: CDNsim: A Simulation Tool for Content Distribution Networks. ACM Transactions on Modeling and Computer Simulation (February 2009) (accepted)Google Scholar