MagMobile: Enhancing Social Interactions with Rapid View-Stitching Games of Mobile Devices
Most mobile games are designed for users to only focus on their own screens thus lack of face-to-face interaction even users are sitting together. Past work shows that the shared information space created by multiple mobile devices can encourage users communicate to each other naturally. The aim of this work is to provide a fluent view-stitching technique to help mobile phone users establish their information-shared view. We present MagMobile: a new spatial interaction technique that allows users to stitch views by simply putting multiple mobile devices close to each other. We describe the design of spatial-aware sensor module and tailor-made magnetic sensor units which are low cost, easy to be obtained into phones. We also propose two collaborative games to engage social interactions in the co-located place.
Keywordshuman-computer interaction co-located collaboration spontaneous device sharing view-stitching mobile devices cooperative games sensors
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ashikaga, E., Iwata, M., Komaki, D., Hara, T., Nishio, S.: Exploring map-based interactions for co-located collaborative work by multiple mobile users. In: GIS 2011, pp. 417–420 (2011)Google Scholar
- 2.Hinckley, K.: Synchronous gestures for multiple persons and computers. In: UIST 2003, pp. 149–158 (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Hinckley, K., Ramos, G., Guimbretiere, F., Baudisch, P., Smith, M.: Stitching: pen gestures that span multiple displays. In: AVI 2004, pp. 1–8 (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Lucero, A., Holopainen, J., Jokela, T.: Pass-them-around: collaborative use of mobile phones for photo sharing. In: CHI 2011, pp. 1787–1796 (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Lucero, A., Keranen, J., Hannu, K.: Collaborative Use of Mobile Phones for Brainstorming. In: MobileHCI 2010, pp. 337–340 (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Lucero, A., Keranen, J., Jokela, T.: Social and spatial interactions: shared co-located mobile phone use. In: CHI 2010, pp. 3223–3228 (2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Luyten, K., Verpoorten, K., Coninx, K.: Ad-hoc co-located collaborative work with mobile devices. In: Mobile HCI 2007, pp. 507–514 (2007)Google Scholar
- 8.Merrill, D., Kalanithi, J., Maes, P.: Siftables: towards sensor network user interfaces. In: TEI 2007, pp. 75–78 (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Rekimoto, J., Ayatsuka, Y., Kohno, M.: SyncTap: An Interaction Technique for MobileNetworking. In: Mobile HCI 2003 (2003)Google Scholar