Integration of EPC and Wireless Sensor Networks for Heterogeneous Networking in a U-Life Environment
One of the most popular technologies to implement the ubiquitous networks is RFID and wireless sensor networks (WSNs) which have been actively investigated in the literature. Before the RFID and WSN technologies can be applied to ubiquitous networks successfully, the understanding on the issues how to integrate WSNs with electronic product code (EPC) in the RFID systems plays a critical role. This work aims to propose an approach for integration of RFID and WSN architectures through interworking between WSN and electronic product code (EPC) to formulate the WSN/EPC network architecture. This combination leads to a flexible system framework that creates a convenient platform for users to select the modular they need in developing a digital home environment. The WSN/EPC framework can also be used to facilitate the implementation of heterogeneous networks in a U-life environment.
KeywordsSensor network RFID heterogeneous network EPC OSGi service platform U-life home
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Auto-ID Labs, http://www.autoidlabs.org/
- 2.EPC Global, http://www.epcglobalinc.org/home
- 3.Jalaly, I.: RFID Tagging Explained. IEE Communications Engineer., 20–23 (February 2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Leong, K.S., Ng, M.L., Engels, D.W.: EPC Network Architecture. In: Auto-ID Labs Research Workshop, Zurich, Switzerland (September 2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Kim, Y.I., Park, J.S., Cheong, T.S.: Study of RFID Middleware Framework for Ubiquitous Computing Environment. In: International Conference Advanced Communication Technology, vol. 2, pp. 825–830 (February 2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Intanagonwiwat, C., Govindan, R., Estrin, D.: Directed Diffusion: A Scalable and Robust Communication Paradigm for Sensor Networks. In: Proceedings of the 6th Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking, Boston, MA, pp. 56–67 (August 2000)Google Scholar
- 10.Zhao, S., Seskar, I., Raychaudhuri, D.: Performance and Scalability of Self-Organizing Hierarchical Ad Hoc Wireless Networks. In: Proceedings of IEEE Conference on Wireless Communications and Networking, vol. 1, pp. 132–137 (March 2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Open Service Gateway Initiative, OSGi Specification Release 3, http://www.osgi.org
- 13.Sun, K.H., Hou, T.W., Wu, Z.Y.: Pluggable RFID components and a Lightweight RFID System based on OSGi. In: International Conference on Consumer Electronics 2007 (ICCE 2007), pp. 1–2 (January 2007)Google Scholar
- 15.Ngo, C.: A Service-oriented Wireless Home Network. In: Proceedings of IEEE Consumer Communications and Network Conference, pp. 618–620 (January 2004)Google Scholar