Star Formation in the Milky Way: The Infrared View
I present a brief review of the some of the most recent and active topics of star formation process in the Milky Way using mid and far infrared observations, and motivated by the research being carried out by our science group using the data gathered by the Spitzer and Herschel space telescopes. These topics include bringing together the scaling relationships found in extragalactic systems with that of the local nearby molecular clouds, the synthetic modeling of the Milky Way and estimates of its star formation rate.
KeywordsStar Formation Molecular Cloud Star Formation Rate Initial Mass Function Nearby Galaxy
The bulk of this contribution was written during two visits to Paris, I thank Francois Boulanger and Ken Ganga for providing me with a working environment to complete it. I also thank the Organizing Committee for their kind invitation.
- 1.Beuther, H., Churchwell, E., McKee, C. F., & Tan, J. C. 2007: The Formation of Massive Stars. Protostars and Planets V, B. Reipurth, D. Jewitt, and K. Keil (eds.), University of Arizona Press, Tucson, 165Google Scholar
- 14.Kennicutt, R. C., Jr & Evans, N. J., II 2012: Star Formation in the Milky Way and Nearby Galaxies. ARA&A, 50, 513 (arXiv1204.3552)Google Scholar
- 22.Robitaille, T.P., Whitney, B. A., Indebetouw, R. & Wood, K. 2006: Interpreting Spectral Energy Distributions from Young Stellar Objects. I. A Grid of 200, 100 YSO Model SEDs. ApJS, 167, 256Google Scholar
- 26.Sheth, K., Noriega-Crespo, A., Ingalls, J. & Paladini, R. 2009: Preface: The Evolving ISM in the Milky Way and Nearby Galaxies. “The Fourth Spitzer Science Center Conference, Proceedings of the conference held December 2–5, 2007 at the Hilton Hotel, Pasadena, CA, Eds.: K. Sheth, A. Noriega-Crespo, J. Ingalls, and R. Paladini, Published online at http://ssc.spitzer.caltech.edu/mtgs/ismevol/”
- 28.Veneziani, M., Elia, D., Noriega-Crespo, A., Paladini, R. et al. 2013: An analysis of the star formation with Herschel in the Hi-GAL Survey. I. The Science Demonstration Phase Fields. A&A, 549, 130Google Scholar