Quality Assessment of User Comments on Mobile Platforms Considering Channel of Activation and Platform Design
- 2.5k Downloads
In this paper we present the results of an experimental three-stepsstudy concerning quality assessment of product reviews. As reviews and comments on products and services are gaining importance in the context of purchasing decisions providers of review platforms are seeking for ways to improve the quality of their platforms. In the presented study user expectations regarding quality of comments were collected as well as reader perceptions of quality. Additionally a thorough text analysis of experimentally obtained product reviews was conducted. The main results of this research were that quality expectations do not necessarily lead towards good quality comments provided by the same person. Moreover it could be observed that the combination of text and star rating is preferred by people and also will lead to better understandability of resulting comments. The channel of activation, NFC or QR codes did not cause any significant difference considering comment quality or appropriate platform.
Keywordsproduct reviews quality assessment content analysis experiment
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Agichtein, E., Castillo, C., Donato, D., Gionis, A., Mishne, G.: Finding high-quality content in social media. In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Web Search and Web Data Mining, pp. 183–194 (2008)Google Scholar
- 2.Chen, Z., Xu, Y.: User-Oriented Relevance Judgment: A Conceptual Model. In: Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, Hawaii, vol. 4, 101 p. (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Hoegg, R., Martignoni, R., Meckel, M., Stanoevska-Slabeva, K.: Overview of business models for Web 2.0 communities. In: GeNeMe, Dresden, pp. 23–37 (2006)Google Scholar
- 7.Mihm, A.: Sprachstatistische Kriterien zur Tauglichkeit von Lesebüchern. Linguistik und Didaktik 4, 117–127 (1973)Google Scholar
- 9.von Reischach, F., Dubach, E., Michahelles, F., Schmidt, A.: An evaluation of product review modalities for mobile phones. In: Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Human Computer Interaction with Mobile Devices and Services, pp. 199–208 (2010)Google Scholar
- 10.Trammel, K.D., Tarkowski, A., Hofmokl, J., Sapp, A.M.: Rzeczpospolita blogów [Republic of Blog]: Examining Polish Bloggers Through Content Analysis. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication 11(3) (2006)Google Scholar