RFID and NFC in Hospital Environments: Reaching a Sustainable Approach
- 2k Downloads
The increase of safety and the improvement of care received by the patient during their healthcare process are one of the main challenges facing health professionals. Obtaining patient traceability and minimising the occurrence of adverse events during the perscription-validation-dispensing-administration process of medication to patients, encourages making measures of improvement to ensure the quality of the processes that take place in the clinical practice of a hospital. It is therefore essential to study current leading technologies such as RFID and NFC in a sustainable way to determine the feasibility of its application in the healthcare environment.
KeywordsRFID NFC security patient traceability medication administration healthcare
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Andrew Aranaz, J.M., Aibar Remon, C., Vitaller Burillo, J., Ruiz Lopez, P.: National Study on Adverse Effects linked to Hospitalisation. In: AENEAS 2005, Consulted on December 17, Ministry of Health, Madrid (2011), http://www.seguridaddelpaciente.es/contenidos/castellano/2006/ENEAS.pdf Google Scholar
- 2.Darianian, M., Michael, M.P.: A low power pervasive RFID identification system for medication safety in hospital or home Telecare. In: Proceedings on 3rd International Symposium on Wireless Pervasive Computing (ISWPC 2008), pp. 143–146 (2008)Google Scholar
- 3.Benelli, G., Pozzebon, A.: Near Field Communication and health: Turning a mobile phone into an interactive multipurpose assistant in health scenarios. CCIS, vol. (52), pp. 356–368 (2010)Google Scholar
- 4.Marcus, G., Law, D., Verma, N., Fletcher, R., Khan, A., Sarmenta, L.: Using NFC-Enabled Mobile Phones for Public Health in Developing Countries. In: First Internationl Workshop on NFC, Hagenberg, Austria (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.Fontecha, J., Hervás, R., Bravo, J., Villarreal, V.: An NFC Approach for Nursing Care Training. In: Third International Workshop on Near Field Communication (IEEE), Hagenberg, Austria, pp. 38–43 (2011)Google Scholar
- 6.Lahtela, A., Hassinen, M., Jylha, V.: RFID and NFC in healthcare: Safely of hospitals medication care. In: PervasiveHealth, pp. 241–244 (2008)Google Scholar