An Augmented Self-tuning Fuzzy Logic Controller with Its Real-Time Implementation
A self-tuning fuzzy PI controller (STFPIC1) is reported elsewhere whose output scaling factor (SF) is continuously adjusted by a fuzzy gain modifying factor(, which is further multiplied by an empirically chosen constant, irrespective of the type of process. Instead of such a fixed value, here, we propose to augment the gain modifier ( based on the process dynamics, which is closely related to its critical point, i.e., ultimate gain and ultimate period. The critical point is obtained by conducting relay-feedback experiment. Thus, the overall output SF of the proposed augmented self-tuning fuzzy PI controller (STFPIC2) will be more rational, as its design considers the dynamics of the process. Performance of the proposed controller is studied for a number of high-order dead-time processes under both set-point change and load disturbance. Performance comparisons with other FLCs are provided in terms of various performance indices. Effectiveness of the proposed STFPIC2 is tested through real-time implementation on a practical temperature control system.
KeywordsSelf-tuning fuzzy control Critical point Relay-feedback
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Sugeno, M.: Industrial Applications of Fuzzy Control. Elsevier Sc, Amsterdam (1985)Google Scholar
- 4.Boverie, S.: Fuzzy Logic Control for High-order Systems. In: Proc. 2nd IEEE Int. Conf. on Fuzzy Systems, pp. 117–121 (1993)Google Scholar
- 6.Nomura, H., Hayashi, I., Wakami, N.: A Self-Tuning Method of Fuzzy Control by Decent Method. In: Proc. IFSA 1991, pp. 155–158 (1991)Google Scholar
- 12.Mudi, R.K., Pal, N.R.: A Self-Tuning Fuzzy PD Controller. IETE Journal of Research 44, 177–189 (1998)Google Scholar
- 13.Pal, A.K., Mudi, R.K.: Self-Tuning Fuzzy PI controller and its application to HVAC system. Int. Journal of Computational Cognition 6, 25–30 (2008)Google Scholar
- 17.Palm, R.: Sliding Mode Fuzzy Control. In: Proc. 1st IEEE Int. Conf. on Fuzzy Systems, pp. 519–526 (1992)Google Scholar