A New Contrast Measurement Index Based on Logarithmic Image Processing Model
With the introduction of more complex enhancement algorithms, there is a need for an effective method of enhancement measurement that can assess image quality in accordance with Human Visual System (HVS) characteristics. This paper presents a new quality index for measurement of contrast in digital images based on Logarithmic Image Processing (LIP) model. The proposed quality index evaluates the degree of contrast manipulation (provided by an enhancement algorithm) by considering the difference in the average gray level values in its foreground to that of background. The calculated statistical parameters for foreground and background regions are mathematically combined using the LIP operators to ensure processing of images from HVS point of view. The quality index is computed for different contrast manipulating algorithms which are applied to test images taken from standard MATLAB library as well as LIVE Database. Simulation results illustrate the precision and efficiency of the proposed index in comparison to other contrast evaluation methods proposed in literature.
KeywordsNo-Reference LIP Model Contrast Measurement Index (CMI) Image Quality Assessment Hadamard Transform
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Morrow, W.M., et al.: Region-Based Contrast Enhancement of Mammograms. IEEE Transaction on Medical Imaging 11(2), 121–134 (1992)Google Scholar
- 4.Wang, Z., Simoncelli, E.P.: Reduced-Reference Image Quality. In: Proceedings of International Symposium on Electronic Imaging, San Jose, CA, USA (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Panetta, K., Wharton, E.J., Agaian, S.S.: Human Visual System based Image Enhancement and Logarithmic Contrast Measure. IEEE Transactions on Image Processing 38(1), 174–188 (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Tripathi, A.K., Mukhopadhyay, S., Dhara, A.K.: Performance metrics for image contrast. In: IEEE conference on Image Information Processing, Shimla, India (2011)Google Scholar
- 8.Sheikh, H.R., Wang, Z., Cormack, L., Bovik, A.C.: LIVE Image Quality Assessment Database Release 2, http://live.ece.utexas.edu/research/quality
- 12.Gonzalez, R.C., Woods, R.E.: Digital Image Processing. Addison-Wesley, Reading (2002)Google Scholar
- 15.Panetta, K., Wharton, E.J., Agaian, S.S.: Human Visual System based Image Enhancement and Logarithmic Contrast Measure. IEEE Transaction on Image Processing 38(1), 174–188 (2008)Google Scholar
- 16.Beauchamp, K.G.: Applications of Walsh and Related Functions. Academic Press (2001)Google Scholar