Removal of High Density Impulse Noise from Digital Images and Image Quality Assessment
The digital images are corrupted by noise due to errors generated in camera sensors, analog to digital conversion and communication channels. Many types of noises may occur. In this paper we are concentrating on the impulse noise. Therefore it is necessary to remove impulse noise in order to provide the quality image. Filtering a noise image is one of the important methods in image processing. This paper presents a new method for impulse noise removal from digital images using iterative scheme. The performance of the iterative scheme is compared with other filters like SMF, DBA and VMF using image quality assessment metrics called peak signal to noise ratio, structural similarity (SSIM) index and region of index SSIM. The experimental results show the proposed algorithm can perform significantly better in terms of noise reduction by using image quality assessment algorithms PSNR.SSIM, ROI-SSIM.
KeywordsImpulse Noise SMF DBA PSNR SSIM ROI-SSIM
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Majid, A., Mahmood, M.: A Novel Technique for removal of high density impulse noise from digital images. IEEE (2010)Google Scholar
- 2.Srinivasan, K.S., Ebenzer, D.: A new and efficient decision-based algorithm for removal of high density impulse noises. IEEE (2007)Google Scholar
- 3.PremKumar, Harikiran, J., SaiChandana, B., RajeshKumar, P.: Performance evaluation of Image Fusion for Impulse Noise Reduction in Digital Images Using an Image Quality Assessment. IJCSI (2011)Google Scholar
- 10.Liu, Y., Sun, H., Di, Y., Zhou, Y.: A New Region of Intrest Based Image Quality Assessment Algorithm, 978-1-4244-3709-2/10 on 2010 IEEEGoogle Scholar
- 11.Hore, A., Ziou, D.: Image Quality metics:PSNR vx SSIM. In: IEEE International Conference on Pattern Recognition (2010)Google Scholar